German police raid homes of Tor-linked group's board members

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Jul 4, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

German police raid homes of Tor-linked group's board members
    One board member described the police's justification for the raids as a "tenuous" link between the privacy group, a blog, and its email address.
    July 4, 2018
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/german-police-raid-homes-of-tor-linked-groups-board-members/
    Related:
    Police searches homes of „Zwiebelfreunde“ board members as well as „OpenLab“ in Augsburg
    July 4, 2018
    https://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2018/...en-der-zwiebelfreunde-und-im-openlab-augsburg

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Also:
    Damn :(

3. guest

guest Guest

As i repeated countless times, there is no such thing as Privacy/Anonymity in our time unless you have vast "resources/connections" and willing to sacrifice your "normal" life...

4. mirimir

I somewhat agree. But there's no need to sacrifice your "normal" life. You just need to compartmentalize.

In this particular case, there was no need for Zwiebelfreunde members to reveal their true identities. From what I know of their work, they could have done everything ~anonymously. And they could have used only clean devices, with everything sensitive securely stored in the cloud. I mean, dogfood Tails.

And this is a perfect example of the risks in assuming that you're safe because you're doing nothing illegal. Because what's illegal, or what's effectively illegal, can change. You gotta assume the worst, and plan for it.

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

After reading this last post of yours here I have a request. Stay out of my head and quit reading my mind on the subject, LOL! With regard to the other post several up in this thread; folks always think its overkill but I like BTC or Monero for helping TOR out as an option. Of course you have to perform due diligence as bare BTC stuff leaves too many breadcrumbs.

6. mirimir

:)

Well, I've been accused of "living in fear". But I consider it prudence. I mean, you never know how stuff will go down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.