Genuine Windows Validation problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i want to get the powershell from MS, but after hardening XP i can't run the Genuine Windows Validation tool, it worked before, but not now. how can i get the MS powershell, or anything else that needs that stupid thing to run?

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Unharden it,lol.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL. The Egg of Columbus solution.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sounds like you'll have to revert the changes you made, run the validation tool then harden again. There is an app i've seen which allows you to get around the validation tool if you have problems, however i don't know if its legal as i'd say one could also use it to crack windows.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree with the unhardening comment. I'd leave windows alone and use a couple of good security apps. Seems like when people harden windows, the do themselves more harm than good.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Ice Baby,

You have seen this page, right buddy - Windows Genuine Advantage does not validate a copy of Windows XP?
    Is the comp you speak of your new Dell? And, was the validation tool already onboard or you tried downloading the shell with a fresh validation copy after the fact? Considering the control type, perhap's something like nir sofer's shellexview or activexhelper could aid in uncovering the block?

Whoop's! You should be in Ice, missed Fuser's alt dwnld.

*Thank's Erik, was in need of a good laugh. :D;)

Steve

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i got the validation thing from WU, it was the first thing it installed lol. but, this is that GenuineCheck.exe. i remember it didn't work properly when it was called WGA either. i'm going to run some of those sysinternals programs to see what's happening. i got the powershell from betanews so it's not a big problem, i think it's the program i wanted, they always seem to have the things MS won't let me download :cool: i've got a legal copy of XP, i shouldn't have to toubleshoot MS stuff because they can't get it right, i'm only doing it because the reason i installed xp was so i could learn more about it to see if i can harden other people's PCs. :D

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i went to windowsupdate again and it installed the GWV again :eek: and this time it let me download the powershell, i already had it though. i think i'm going to try installing XP again. i want to be able to make it safe, but still have everything working.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

that,s a better idea.
    I stopped hardening, tweaking before I completed it except SafeXP and XP-antispy( here u can revert easily watever u do but even then I feel a bit of headache using them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.