general security concern..

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by moe_08, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moe_08

moe_08 Registered Member

i posted in several sub forums coz i am not sure where my question really fits, so i hope its not a problem :)

hi

let me start off by admitting that i am completely and utterly ignorant when it comes to computer tech (i only use it for minimal purposes).. that being said, i have a couple of security concerns i would appreciate if any one give me some feedback on them...

i ve just bought a new computer.. after i installed the OS (win xp home sp2) i immediately installed kaspersky internet security 7.0... and then i had to update it so i connected to the Internet and KIS updates takes foreverand my connection was slow also.. so the computer was connected to the Internet for a very long time was no protection (or obsolete protection as KIS was updating)....

1- what are the security risks of connecting to the Internet BUT not doing any browsing or downloading except the KIS update definition files downloads...?

2- what are the security risks if i connect to the Internet (ie hook the ethernet ADSL cable coming from a router and have no antivirus suite installed.. but DONT DO ANY BROWSING or DOWNLOADING..... i had to connect to the Internet before i installed KIS so as to activate my OS from Microsoft?

also windows not updated until KIS finished (after a long time) then i ran windows update which took even LONGER time

N.B. i have been attacked before on a different computer but on the same network by an ip from china (i dont know the type but i think its the one that over traffic the Internet?!?)but KIS blocked it.. so i am concerned that this guy who might know my ip address, attack the new computer during the time where KIS was updating.. esp when the attack hit when i opened an email (spam) that had the subject of my financial advisor company name..

i will be using this computer to access sensitive financial online data.. and i am PARANOID about my safety and security online esp of the issues mentioned above.....
    currently
    i have windows updated ........KIS 7 running and updated with firewall to max... and that’s it…
    before i start using it for sensitive online action.. i need to feel more protected.. i am still concerned about keyloggers, rootkit virus, trojans,...etc...

3-how to 100 % check that the computer was not infected by anything of anytype during the updates download?

4-how to add more protection for the future?

i am actually considering to write zeros to the WD 160 hard drive.. is that reasonable

please any feedback is immensely appreciated
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.