General Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by psu2727, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psu2727

psu2727 Registered Member

My problem is that my internal hard drive will not load up windows 2000, but I need files from the hard drive. Would it be possible to create an image from another computer running Win 2000 and transfer that image to an external hard drive to just get windows running to get the files. Will this let Windows boot from an external hard drive?

Thanks!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

No, that won't work, but there is an easier way to do what you want.

Use the TI Recovery CD to boot the system and make an image of the hard drive to an external hard drive or to another networked computer.

You can now Plug (version 7 & 8 ) or Mount (versions 9 & 10) that image as a virtual hard drive with it's own drive letter on any computer with TI installed.
    You can copy files with Windows Explorer from the mounted image to the real hard drive.

You could also reinstall Windows 2000 on the original system (with the orignal hard drive or a replacement) to get it running again and then mount the image on that computer to extract the files.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Even easier .... boot with a standard BartPE cd and from its menu, use the A43 file management utility - gives you a Windows Explorer-like GUI. You can then copy your files to an external drive.

4. psu2727

psu2727 Registered Member

Will a BartPE cd work if I have Windows 2000 installed on both computers?

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You will need an XP source CD with at least SP1 to build a BartPE CD. You can build and it will work on a Win2K machine with the aforementioned caveat.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

A Knoppix Linux on CD may also be an alternative that doesn't require having access to a Windows XP SP1 or SP2 installation CD. It's not as familiar as the Windows environment since it's Linux, but it will boot the drive just as the Bart PE disk does and can be a real help in an emergency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.