General purpose bandwidth limiting.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by The_Doctor, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Doctor

The_Doctor Registered Member

Hello, I read a few posts suggesting (rightly, I think) that a good firewall should not do things best done by other programs, such as cookie control and HTML filtering. Proxomitron does this best anyway...
    But what about a bandwidth limiter?
    It seems to me that the app based part of LnS is totally suited to this.

If you don't think so, consider this aspect:
    Copycat!
    If all trusted processes had sensible limits imposed, that could be one way to stop fast access being made via trojans. While it's not going to stop small orders for large menaces, it should be a very compelling reason for limiting, in addition to all the other compelling reasons that exist. It could certainly slow down any large scale attempt to steal files via a network, no matter what means were applied.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It is somewhat difficult to implement bandwidth throttling so that it is always perfect. Port Explorer (http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/) has bandwidth throttling for individual sockets or processes. I wouldn't mind this feature in a LnS either, but there are probably more important things on the Look n Stop list then this I would guess. :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.