general outpost & security issues...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WhiteWhaleHoly..., Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

recently I have had some grief with some hackers/script kiddies?. Luckily my nod32 AV dealt with them well. However, one thing that does concern me is that prior to the warnings from nod32, outpost warned me of an application change and I mistakenly allowed it...I know stupid huh! The trouble is, I have difficulty in determining whether to allow or not; generally I allow when I have a launched a new service from an application etc, or when something has been updated. Is there a rule of thumb that I might adhere to, so that I will be better prepared in the future? Also and as a side note, nod32 sprang into action and spotted the trojan trying to enter my computer but ewido did not - ridiculous considering its an anti-trojan program!

thanks,

WWHG.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

with firewall alerts, u have to read them carefully and see what app is doing what. if its something u expected like when u update a program, click allow. if u cant find reason for the alert or it seems fishy just block it (once if possible) and post here if u need help/info.

3. I do always read the warnings but they tell you very little about what has happened. It just gives the name of the appplication and the files underneath that have changed,for instance, i often get warnings that are for microsoftword/shared folder - what does that mean, what legitimate process would need that when i am not even using word??

thanks,

WWHG.

4. noone has any suggestions, surely other people experience this also? paranoid2000....help.

WWHG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.