General Consensus regarding ClamWin?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What is the general consensus regarding ClamWin? Is it useless and not reliable, or a good AV that can be used and relied upon?

If someone uses ClamWin + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, can they be confident?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As I remember, ClamWin isn't too good. You'd probably be much better off using something like Avira on-demand with MBAM.

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

r u asking this today due the fp they had today?
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Free-ClamWin-virus-scanner-moves-most-of-Windows-into-quarantine-1139430.html

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I assume you are asking about ClamWin (which only executes on-demand) and not ClamAV for Windows (which runs real-time & is a joint enterprise with Immunet).

If my assumption is correct, then I would say that ClamWin is better than nothing -- if & only if you regularly image your HD. Reason: ClamWin is an on-demand checker & lacks heuristics. Hence, it will detect infections to a degree, but it won't prevent them. Therefore, if ClamWin detects malware, you need to restore a recent clean image.

IMO, there better choices that ClamWin among free AV software.

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I was hoping to use something that isn't memory resident as it slows my laptop down too much.

I've not used an AV for over 20 years, and never been infected as far as I know. But I been thinking about this, it won't hurt to have an AV to check my files time to time. I have the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed, and was looking for an AV, but an AV that doesn't need to be installed.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I understand. If I remember correctly, some people have found a way to install Avira and yet have it not be resident, just on-demand only. I'm not sure how it's done, or what is disabled, but I think you can do it. Sorry I'm not more help on the specifics.

8. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I use it, but not exclusively. I don't use a resident scanner and clamwin does what I need. If I think I might actually have an infection, then I use malwarebytes. I just use clamwin for on-demand scans of downloads.

I also just checked my settings and it is set to "report only", not "quarantine". So I wouldn't have been hosed by that problem they introduced. :)

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If it's on-demand you're after,they don't come better than Hitman Pro.As for ClamWin,it's better than nothing but mediocre.

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

That would be perfect!:thumb: I don't want an AV to have any part of itself running resident. So no ideas?

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What can clamwin do and detect that malwarebytes cannot do and cannot detect?

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have seen good things written about Hitman PRO, but I don't want to spend money on an AV. Freeware only for this dude:D

But out of curiosity, so it doesn't install anything and doesn't run resident?

13. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

how about sticking with what you have got(nothing:-its lighter than any av I can think of!) and taking regular images that can be used to restore your system if something causes you hassle?

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's easy. Just use Autoruns to disable startup of avgnt.exe & avguard.exe.

You can achieve that by running an in-the-cloud AV such as Prevx-free or Immunet-free. Either of those is 99.99% as light as an on-demand AV and will give you superb protection. For free!

15. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Hitman Pro is free to scan. If it finds an infection, you could just revert to an earlier image or you could activate the 30 day trial.

It copies itself to Program Files and creates one registry entry but you can set it not to install. It is on-demand only.

There is also Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

16. gery

gery Registered Member

Clam on demand is not an app that can be really trusted in my opinion. Anyway someone =earlier said you could install Avira without the resident shield or guard as it is named in there and there you go without any issues. I have it as an on demand only av in my old old computer and it works fine for me. It also automatically updates everyday.:thumb:

17. s23

s23 Registered Member

If I understand correctly what you wanna, to install AVira without the resident scanner do this:

1 - Run the setup
    2 - Choose "Custom Install"
    3 - Choose the path and all and in the window asking for what modules you wanna install untick "Guard Module". For what I remember, the rootkit scanner module cannot be installed in a x64 system.
    4 - After install and update, run "msconfig" and untick avgnt.exe (or anything like that - Sorry for not give precise instructions but I'm using linux and cannot confirm all the process).
    5 - If you wanna, there is a service running in background ( If i remember right is avsched.exe), but you can easily find it running the command "Services.msc". When I'm using it as a on-demand scanner, I leave this service running because it's important to the "Right-click scanner" work and to execute scheduled tasks (like updates - Even in the free you can schedule updates to run, let's say, create one to run daily at 09:00 and create others to runs in specified hours like at each 4 hours).

In this way it run great in my computer, without slowdowns or Slowing boot.

Avast can be used in this way too. Simply choose Custom Install and untick all the shields. If you wanna remove the tray icon you need disable the Self-protection and disable it under msconfig. But if you do this, the right-click scanner will not work.

Hope this help you.

Have fun!

18. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

it sucks, CamWin detection rates is barely 50%

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The good thing about Hitman Pro is that detection is free,therefore if you run it with an imaging solution in place there's no need for the paid removal (it does remove adware & mbr rootkit for free).

It is completely on-demand with no services running in the background.The great thing is you get the power of GData (Avast & Bitdefender),Emsisoft (Ikarus & Emsi),Prevx and Dr Web along with it's own behavioural analysis.

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

No Prevx removers adware and the mbr rootkit for free as far as I know Hitmanpro does not.

21. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

I don't consider Clamwin to be a terrible on demand AV scanner. Would I use it as my primary mean of security defense? Absolutely not. But for another opinion on demand scanner it's not a bad app really. I like the fact that it's open source - so anyone can contribute to development. Also in the past it has caught a few infections that Symantec didn't even have in their database yet (and no they weren't false positives :)). But anyway since it doesn't take up tons of space I do have it installed and I run a scan with it once in a while. But as others had said I don't think it should be your main on demand scanner. Personally I use Superantispwyare Pro for real time and on demand scans, along with Bitdefender 2011 Antivirus and then I'll use clamwin as another opinion on demand scanner.

On a side note you could use Dr. Web CureIt as an on demand scanner - but I believe it installs some services (someone can correct me on this?). I know it does install a driver to run.

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I chose not to install Hitman Pro, but when I ran it and did a scan, it didn't even update itself or the definition files, which makes it seem that it's outdated and not reliable. Also it scanned too fast to be really scanning properly.

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Are you saying that if I install Avira, and then disable avgnt.exe & avguard.exe using Autoruns, that Avira on bootup will not load a single file or program into memory and take up resources and RAM?

And I can then just run it whenever I want t update the definition files and do a scan?

24. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Gee... you don't even take the time to read the other threads, do you? Are you serious? o_O
    1) When you download the .exe from SurfRight's site you will always get the latest build.
    2) A cloud scanner DOES NOT need to update definitions. The engines are always up-to-date cause they are located @ the vendor's servers which are online 24x7x365.
    3) HMP is NOT outdated. It's always in development and is one of the most reliable security apps you can find nowadays.
    4) So the fact that it has a fast scan engine means it doesnt do it's job properly? C'mon... You must be jokin'.
    5) HMP scans only critical system areas which are commonly targeted by malware. It's pointless to scan the whole system... specially since "you've never had a single infection in your 20 years on the internet". :thumb:

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

There's no way I am going to follow instructions that contain the statement, "Sorry for not give precise instructions but I'm using linux and cannot confirm all the process":thumbd:

Secondly, I downloaded it from Softpedia not SurfRight's site.

Thirdly, so what you mean is that HMP doesn't download definition files to my PC like other AV's do, it checks my files with its own definition files located on THEIR server?

HMP will never update definition files like AV's and Malwarebytes does?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.