General consensus of Wilders veterans re:Spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by quadrophonic, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I think Quadrophonic was looking for opions on wether to use spyware terminater or not and I just gave my opion as did you Tarq57. I would never use it and you currenty are using it. There are just way to many better app's out there.No need to get so defencive.

QUOTE FROM TARQ57...
    [So for you naysayers who say "It's got a shonky reputation"' "It's connected with spyware", "I don't trust it" or "what's to stop them selling my personal information",
    Get a bloody life]

Sorry it took me so long to post back but I was out enjoying life,you see I already have one.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes and it also comes with realtime protection and HIPS for free.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Fair enough. (Glad you're out enjoying a life.) The final paragraph of my post could have been better worded.
    There are a lot of informed posts here with good information and apparently sound opinions. Some for, some against, with reasoning included.
    What I am a little defensive about are the knockers. You know, those that are quite willing to knock something (or someone) based pretty much on heresy, it sometimes seems.
    Perhaps I should have given the OP a little more credit for being able to filter those out, but I guess rant mode was on.
    No offense intended to anyone else.

4. como212

como212 Registered Member

used ST before and it's a good program
    if it was not good no need to this war!

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You mean $39.90:

$29.95 [SUPERAntiSpyware Professional] + $9.95 [UPERAntiSpyware - LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION].

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

You mean $39.90:

$29.95 [SUPERAntiSpyware Professional] + $9.95 [UPERAntiSpyware - LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION].

With that price it is still worth it!:D

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

No, I meant $29.95 :) You can get it for that price (or less) if you take advantage of the promotion by installing/uninstalling the free version. Even at $39.90 it's a steal since you get lifetime updates.

8. dusen

dusen Registered Member

Hi guys, just few quick comments on issues discussed here:

1. Our main focus so far is real-time shield. Considering how many new threats are coming out every day we consider this approach better in long run. We have major improvements under the development - with main focus to eliminate real-time shield notification windows and make it easier to use for regular users. We're improving the scanner too but I personally believe that real-time shield is our family silver here.

2. There was already so many discussions about our connection to Crawler and Ibis - you can check for example this thread where I tried to explain situation - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=896661&postcount=28

Just short recap - we never tried to hide the fact that there is connection. The company and the team was completely rebuild and as far as I know all past products were discontinued and shut down long time ago. We are proud of Spyware Terminator and the team around is very dedicated to improve it as much as possible - and it is not their job but also hobby which is important. Also please notice that Crawler recently announced that its toolbar was TRUSTE certified - more details here - http://www.crawler.com/news.aspx?id=2134 which is another prove that we are very serious about our approach and it would make no sense to bring-alive past products. In addition to ST or TRUSTE certification I can also mention that our other product - which is sharing some technology components with ST - Crawler Parental Control has some very positive reviews too.

And just to make it clear - please notice that I'm part of the ST dev team. And sorry for noticing this discussion so late.

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I believe the RealTime Shield is good and an important part of security. I also believe with the HIPS enabled it improves the RealTime detection even more. I just found out that AVG Anti-Spyware doesn't even have Heuristics for RealTIme detection, and as Good as SuperAntiSpyware is, the RealTime Protection it offers while good, doesn't seem to be its main focus and not much talked about. Prevention is number one in my book, and I feel something like ST needs to be a Chapter in it. Using SAS as On Demand is also a chapter, as is a Third Party Firewall and Firefox with NoSript, but I do wonder if a Behavior Blocker like Cyberhawk is needed with ST's HIPS enabled? Anyone using the two together?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  10. dusen

dusen Registered Member

We will be improving HIPS part of ST a lot. One part of the improvement will be also heuristic file evaluator which will be trying to find out whether file has a potential to do some damage. Our goal is to show our warning screen only if there is really high chance that the file/process is potentially dangerous.

I can't comment on Cyberhawk as I'm using only ST combined with firewall and antivirus.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well FWIW i for one am quite satisfied with the progess ST is made. In fact i use the free version right now (2 weeks) and have nothing ill to mention about it, in fact i,m bonkers over the "Show Allowed Alerts" since you can visually glance at what dll is in action at the time of some file opening (Very Nice).

What was then was then, this is now. ST has the makings of being yet another layer of protection. The detections are a matter to be improved on of course but isn't required given the nature of so many database scanners that have a long history of successfull identifying. The HIPS plus Resident-Shield makes this program tick IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.