GDATA, how does their own engine perform ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For a while I've been contemplating getting a new AV/suite (they all have their issues ...) for a WIN 7 setup.

I noticed they replaced the AVast engine by their own engine.
    Does anyone know what their own/new engine is like ?

Any peculiarities I should be aware of ?

2. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Fly!...I'm currently using G-Data 2014. Your question is an interesting one too G-Data users...due too the fact the Second Engine...is called Close Gap...and I believe is also used to administer protection in tandem with their Bank Guard system. Now it seems to have done well in the latest A/V Comparative testing...but a lot of us at Wilders at the moment have developed a wait and see attitude...as to the new engines effectiveness. And the Bank Guard is a leap of faith...meaning unlike Avast and Bitdefender...who have their own well established banking apps...G-Data's is invisible. G-Data claims it's fully operational...but as mentioned at this point in time it's strictly a Keep the Faith Marketing Tool. I still have respect for G-Data...they've stayed away from Buttons and Whistles...and using Bitdefenders engine...the Detection is excellent overall. You can also obtain more in depth info at G-Data U.S.A.Hd.Office...in Atlanta...contact #1-336-369-0448...Hrs...M-F-9:00am-5pm. Sincerely...Securon

3. Mhhh I read German, intrigued by 'Close Gap', helas in the movie and explaining text on G-datawebsite it says what it does:

Active technology (flexible components) & new blacklist fingerprints on the fly to close the gap every AV has (no 100% detection)

It does not mention a word on how it achieves this, looks a lot like banking guard a magical component.

Who does remember washing powder advertisements in the 80-ies, all of them had some new chemical component which we could not see it, http://www.orkla.com/News-Media/News/A-new-generation-of-detergents

It turned out TAED ( tetra-acetylethyleendiamine with 'manganese' catalysis) was actually a real component and an innovation in bleeching using less energy/washing time :D

So considering G-Data is proud on its German engineers, 20 years from now Close Gap will be mentioned in IT-studies as a milestone in security. From ze country which brought zyou BMdoubleYou, G-data takes ze next step and replaces ze double engine for 'ein' engine with stop gap.

Marketing wise I rather have two engines as one with a hole in it. ;) Avast's deepscreen technology, sounds better with all those ee's. Together with webrep it explains what it is supposed to do: screen something very thoroughly when it has poor reputation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Inspector Clouseau is Head of Strategic Development at GData, so they obviously aren't hiring amateurs. See here.

5. Well here you go

No wonder Close Gap marketing magic resembles TAED detergent :D

Goes against proven theory of Everett Rogers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everett_Rogers When I had to choose I would put my money on diffusion of innovation (acceptance of new stuff), not on clouseau's magic.

Old Guru Everett M. Rogers learned us that the diffusion of innovation is mainly determined by the ease of which the advantage/benfits can be communicated, next complexity in use, phisical evidence (when we can see or touch something we are more willing to attribute a functional benefit to it) and economic/social risk involved in owning/buying such a thing (what do peer social and economic groups think about this product).

Let's check 'diffusion of innovation' on phoneblok telephone concept (which Motorola actually is going to develop) see http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoetech/mob...e-a-modular-smartphone-with-lego-like-blocks/ from a young Dutch designer

1. Ease of benefit communication V Check the movie with the blocks using the frame set of lego which most of us know.

2. Simplicity in use/usage V Check simply change a component which is broken or replace it for something you like better

3. Phisical evidence V Check no, just a concept, therefore the movie was designed

4. Social/Economic pressure V Check Risk is low, because it is modular, can be personalised, but above all it has a positive attribute/character because it reduces waiste. Reducing garbage is good for the world so it has a high acceptance chance when shown to your friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  6. Johnny123

If you are familiar with the German Detergent Sunil, they have claimed almost every year since the 50's that the new formula makes the white clothes even whiter than before. By now we should need welding goggles to look at the clothes on the line. :D

7. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Only in the one Microsoft have 'fessed up to cheating. The real world block rate is as poor as it gets, relies too much on the BB after the infection has already happened. That's something because even Bullguard improved in September, yet GD just gets worse and worse.

Just can't fathom how anyone can still believe they really could develop something supposedly as 'awesome' as CloseGap when far more capable vendors with proven, stable in-house technologies and great malware research ability couldn't.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  8. luckyboy

luckyboy Registered Member

great security software which u can trust:)

9. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I also agree with the "magical component" analogy. CloseGap+BankGuard you never really see or hear, there just supposed to be there as silent guardians. I find G-DATA's Bitdefender engine will detect most of everything anyway. I also strongly agree with their "Don't bother the user" approach, I strongly appreciate this. GDATA 2014 has been the on product that never speaks unless it needs to and after set-up requires no supervision at all, ever. Which is great to me, I hate having to micromanage an AV.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Not invisible if you know were to look ;)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2220381&postcount=20

An ideal approach, no plugin or weird icons here and there... lets see if it is tested before or later but it seems to work OK.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So Michael has finally got back to Germany :) I know he wasn't too happy about freezing Iceland when he was with F-Prot...

I was wondering where he went after he left F-Prot, now i know :)

12. Securon

Good Morning! Thanks for the heads up Fax! Just a recommendation to the G-Data folks...to perhaps consider showing Bank Guard as a Visual App in the 2015 Product Line...it would provide the customer with the Peace Of Mind Factor. I agree with Taliscicero that the Beauty of G-Data is it's a Set-It and forget it Product. So far I have no Qualms with it's Performance Whatsoever! Sincerely...Securon

13. fax

fax Registered Member

well, de gustibus non est disputandum, to each its own. For me it will just improve your false sense of security. ;)

14. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I like it hidden as long as its working, I am totally cool with that. I find it funny, GDATA 2014 gives even less alerts that Webroot Secure Anywhere, which is both funny and very good of GDATA.

15. Securon

Good Morning! Fax!....Somehow I can't see Bank Guard...being advertised as providing you our customer with a False Sense of Security...Lol! Good One! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Didn't he work for Vipre after F-Prot? (and long ago for Eset and Gladiator AV)?

17. Securon

Good Morning! Yes FanJ...Michael...did work for Vipre. Unfortunately...as like many occurences in life...Sunbelt slash Vipre...were in the process of Selling or Merging with GFI...and I guess like many mergers...their are always changes initiated by the new management team...in this case...disruptive...and as a result having Michael resettling back in Scandinavia. I still have a Vipre license...but Vipre is now owned by Threat Track Security...who haven't really provided any updates as to what the status is with Vipre...so it's Profile as an app in my books...is Limbo Like! Anybody that has any further info...regarding Vipre...I'd like to be informed! Sincerely...Securon

18. Securon

Good Morning! Just checked out Threat Track's Website...and they've re-established their user forum...that's a very encouraging development...and from what I can understand have also introduced an update to Vipre 2014. I guess the old saying Look and Ye shall Find...is applicable in this instance. Sincerely...Securon

19. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Securon,

Good evening!
    Thank you for correcting me and for the additional info on VIPRE; much appreciated!
    I guess I'd better start a separate thread on VIPRE so we can leave this thread to G-DATA.

Warm regards,
    Jan

20. Securon

Good Evening! FanJ...Apologize for the excess verb age regarding Vipre. I think that your idea in starting a new thread for Vipre...is the more diplomatic way to go. In all fairness to G-Data! Sincerely...Securon

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

That alone says a lot about the excellent quality of GData products :thumb:

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Not much "freezing" difference between those countries :D

23. Johnny123

LOL. It isn't that bad here. Germany is different than the US because it's colder down south than in the north due to the altitude. It depends on your location.

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I find their 'explanation' of dual engine and CloseGap functionality quite confusing.

Does it have two engines, or not ??

Anyway, any comments about the firewall ?

1 GB RAM is a bit much, isn't it ?

25. SuperHax

SuperHax Registered Member

I've been using G-data for 1year+, never had any issues with it.

CloseGap has protected me on 2 separate occasions against threats that weren't detected by Bitdefender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.