Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Because the heat generated by your HDD isn't relevant, because it's constant across all systems. Other parts on the mobo may warm up more than the HDD, but nowhere near the level of the GPU/CPU, which are really what determines the overall temperature.

From notebookcheck.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Schenker-W503-Clevo-P150SM-Notebook.92973.0.html

Various other reviews will show that this is very typical for midrange GPUs like the 765m. If you look at the 780m you'll start to see higher temps like 80C and if you're messing your cooling up on the 765m you'll potentially get to 80C and it'll start to throttle.

But it won't reach that point. If you play games on a flat surface you're not going to hit 80C, even under full load midrange GPUs only hit 80C in absolute worst conditions for benchmarks that push them in every way in order to consistently keep it at 100% usage - games rarely do that.

Laptops really don't get ridiculously hot anymore. Even if you go full out and get the high end, which are usually considerably hotter, they won't throttle if you use them properly. Not to mention the laptop I linked has a 'turbo' feature for the fan.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

They are still relevant - a point you continue to deny. There are many, MANY other heat sensitive devices on a motherboard that can and do affect system stability and performance. This is why simply monitoring CPU and GPU temps does NOT give you a complete picture of thermal management. While HDs may not contribute much to overall temps, they too can be affected by too much heat.

I do agree notebooks, in general, are much better, and I agree that is greatly due to better CPU and GPU efficiencies, but notebooks still inherently run warmer and suffer from more heat related issues than PCs. And that trend will continue as long as consumer continue demanding PC power in tiny boxes.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Guys this isnt about heat. I run a ThermalTake T3000 laptop cooler. I will most likely be upgrading to something that pushes air across the bottom of the laptop rather than suck the heat away.

Im looking for suggestions for good laptops that fit the requirements in the OP.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

okay sorry about that.
    Probably get what you pay for,but if you can get cheaper then go for it and the best of luck in your search.
    There is a multitude of choice out there.:argh:

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If your HDD is ever significantly higher than 40C there's likely a much bigger problem than just too much load on the system.

Notebook will always run hotter, because you're packing the same amount of power into a smaller space, so heat dispersal is limited. But unless there's a problem with the notebook, they've gotten incredibly good at cooling themselves, and the one I listed shouldn't ever get to hot.

I still maintain that the CPU/GPU temps are the main factors in determining heat of the system, as they'll consistently be the hottest.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No denying they are "main factors" but that is not what you said initially. You said they were the ONLY relevant factors, they aren't. And you also said, "In terms of heat, don't worry about it". And that is still bad advice.

Now whitedragon is right, this topic is not about heat, so time to move on.

Another big factor in deciding which notebook you want is the quality of the monitor. Not all 15.6" displays are created equal, nor do they performance equally. I personally am not too concerned with viewing angles with notebooks because the keyboard position forces you to sit in front of the monitor. But I do want a nice, vibrant and quick display. And for the integrated graphics, some systems used shared memory for graphics RAM, some have dedicated RAM on-board. Dedicated costs more, but typically provides better results (even with gobs of system RAM). Note that graphics RAM, like GDDR3 and GDDR5, is tweaked for graphics where shared system RAM is not.

Considering there many graphics cards for PCs that would consume your entire notebook budget for just the graphics (if buying/building a PC), I recommend you consider your notebook's graphics carefully.

10. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Considering all the comments made about heat related issues and how confused some seems to be on this issue.

The discussion looks like this: Right... wrong... wrong and maybe right again... this is ridiculous! :blink:

I think considering the nature of this discussion a little education on two things are in order for this thread...

1 - Thermodynamics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics
    2 - Discussions of said laws in relation to energy converted to heat and it's resulting dissipation http://phys.org/tags/heat dissipation/

Now read then argue all you want!

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.