games

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by waters, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

HI
    Would nod slow down games.
    If nod scans everything before it runs ,would it be scaning the game and slowing it down.
    If it would ,should amon be stoped

2. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I have NOD on a P4 2.8 game machine. No noticable slow down while gaming with AMON enabled.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have no trouble with NOD and games either - I do a lot of gaming on an AMD 3200+ with high graphics settings and AMON is never disabled. I play things like "Vampire:Bloodlines," "Dawn of War," "C&C Generals ZH," and I host some pretty big games in "Operation Flashpoint."

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks.
    I used nod some time ago,and found my system seemed to run even better with nod than without it .
    However i was trialing this latest version and have noticed some slowdown.
    If i disable amon ,it is ultra fast.
    athlon 1800 graphics fx5900xt

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You might find the new version 2.13.0 (available soon) handy - it will bring cache in AMON which means each file will be checked by AMON only once unless it's changed.

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Good i will retrial and buy if this is better.
    Slowdown is mainly while surfing.I notice a slight delay

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

your XP1800 isn't "state-of-the-art" any more - don't get me wrong, it's a capable machine, but you never stated your RAM or operating system - throw a gig of RAM at the system with XP and an 1800mhz machine should purr... with 256mb and xp, you're going to see some slow-downs occassionally - with win2k, the same machine will run fine for weeks between reboots to free up resources.

My "main" machine is an XP2200+ - and I have an XP1800 at home (only 256Mb of RAM - I must remember to replace that other 256mb dimm that got robbed for a work machine - SOME DAY) - and that's a little "clunky" at times.

My 2.8Ghz machine with 1Gb RAM runs like a train - and I haven't even bothered trimming any window fat out yet...

8. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Please not iStreams :oops:

9. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks for advice.
    I have 512 ram,and will upgrade..Firefox loading with slight delay and nod combined makes me notice change from ie.
    iI have changed to k meleon and noticed big change for now .

10. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

I would be interested in knowing how this will be accomplished as well.

11. Daniel_SE

Daniel_SE Guest

What is this Istreams and if bad, why?

12. quexx88

iStreams are little tags added onto files so that the scanner can know to ignore them unless they have been modified in some way since the last scan. It's supposed to make things more efficient, but for many users, myself included, iStreams can bog things down and create a whole host of problems. Just for your information, iStream technology is used in the Kaspersky line of AV software, and only recently has an option to disable their use been added.

I am not quite sure how NOD32 would create a "cache" without either using iStreams or something like it, or consuming a huge amount of disk space to somehow archive what has already been scanned. Of course, I have faith in ESET that if they do decide to use iStreams, they will provide us with an option to disable them. I haven't noticed any AMON-induced slowdowns anyway.

13. waters

waters Registered Member

I think slowdown is solved.
    Mostly slowdown was while useing internet.
    I have changed from sygate, to trialing look n stop.
    For some reason everything now seems more responsive,there is a very noticeable differance.
    Dont know why but on my system it works so i will go with both and buy

14. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

You didn't say which version of Sygate but several of the features of Sygate Pro use up processor cycles and even Sygate's forum recommends turning them off, if you notice stuttering and such, they are Anti IP Spoofing, Intrusion Detection, Anti MAC Spoofing, stealth browsing and OS masquerading. Turn those off and Sygate should stop using the CPU so much. Then again I just leave the all active and put up with it as there isn't much difference on my systems.

If not, stay with LnS it is a fine FW from what I hear but I have never used it. As with AV products, all security apps you use should work well with YOUR system, not what other people say is the best.

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I would have thought that 'Driver Level Protection' would have been high on that list as well....?

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I also use Sygate without difficulty but it is the free version which probably negates all the difficulties mentioned here. I also have 1 gig of PC 3200 DDR and 3 7200 RPM hard drives along with a Radeon 9800 pro so I have found it difficult to slow the machine down - but then looking at the mist or fog in "Vampire" will do it with settings set to max. Anyway I think the games themselves have much more effect on performance than any module of NOD.

17. Daniel_SE

Daniel_SE Guest

I have previously used KAV so I know what kind of slowdowns you are talking about and that was the main reason why I switched to NOD. Lets just hope that the programmers at NOD know what they are doing.

18. quexx88

Heh, unless your CPU runs on the power of Jesus, you'll slow down in that game, guaranteed. In my experience, if you have a decent system, even running a "heavy" AV, AT or firewall doesn't make that much of a difference, if there is one at all.

19. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Without the benefit of actually knowing anybody at ESET I feel very confident that if NOD is getting something new it would be because it offers improvement - either speed, reliability, functioanlity or a combination of these three.
    If it didn't amount to an improvement in the scanning technology (speed/reliability) it wouldn't get out of beta and into release with ESET, so I for one am looking forward to it :)
    Also, every other feature is switchable/selectable/unplugable (thats a long way of saying fully modular) and I would expect to find the same thing with a cache - although however ESET decide to deliver it, thats fine with me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.