games and firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stratoc, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

hi, i havnt really used a firewall before, just router, all seems ok, ess on defaults. but i can only play unreal tournament online with the firewall turned off. all other games work ok.
    is there another way to do this, the games is run from steam, as i say all other online games work.
    thanks

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

ok. i switched to interactive mode, which works.
    one question, if i switch back to automatic mode will it still obey the new rules? or will i have to leave in interactive mode?
    if i switch back to auto mode then back to interactive mode will the rules still be there?
    how come i never needed a firewall before?
    can i switch back to nod 32?
    sorry for all the questions, i like my security to be as little work as possible!

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi, I would suggest you to stay in interactive mode because once you have created all the rules you need, then you will hardly notice the firewall is there (I know because it is what happens to me :) ).
    Automatic mode can be great for newbies but there are no rules visible in this mode, ESS will create/delete rules on the fly, and there is no way to edit or view them, also, if you switch back from iteractive, your rules will NOT be there in Automatic, since they are not needed/used by ESS.
    I understand you want your security setup to be as hassle free as possible and belive me with ESS it is, so stick to interactive and once you've set it up you'll never see it pop up again, unless you install something new or an extra rule is needed..

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

will do, thanks for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.