Gamer

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Lawn_boy, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawn_boy

Lawn_boy Registered Member

I play Unrealtournement Demo and am very involved in clans and such. So i realy enjoy the game, but recently there have been spikes in my ping to 3500 and loss % of 25-40. Which makes it impossible to play. I am used to about a 70 ping, with 0-2 % loss. Does anyone know what my problem is, and how can i fix it? Thanks to anyone who takes time to help me.

2. IV411

IV411 Registered Member

This is my best friend. He is talking about his network when he connects and his packet loss is at an all time high. Say and show any signs to anyone with networking? Odviously too many programs running in windows sys tray and too many programs running in your background period.

What you need to do is reformatt your pc and remove all that junk you have on there at the moment. If that is not possible then you should uninstall and run every spyware and addware prog on the market, then run thorough virus scans using , TDS, NOD32 even norton if you prefer but run more than just one garbage antivirus prog.

Download as much help software available on this forum as possible, port explorer, sygate, both do amazing things. Spyware blaster and protect from other internet exploring threats for all common browsers.

You are only as strong as your last defense prog. So be wise and learn!

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Lawn_boy

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Have you made any recent changes to your setup?
    Can you provide any more details on your setup/connection and what if any logging is available that may help troubleshoot this?

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Lawn_boy

I apologize for my ignorance towards computer but i am not realy sure what you mean. I have a cable connection, but it isnt rated as high as most, like Comcast.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Lawn_boy

Have you made any recent changes to your setup?

Do you have a router and/or firewall with logging that may provide some additional information on connection problems?

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Lawn_boy

I bought and downloaded Webroot Spysweeper

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

HI Lawn_boy, and welcome to the forum. :)

It doesn't look like we're getting to far in figuring out what your problem could be. We really need to know more about your system and what you have installed and running that could possibly be interferring with your connection. It may be an infection, or it could be software related. But until we know what software you have running, or what scans you've done to check if your computer is clean of infection....we're not going to be able to help you much.

When CrazyM asked if you've done any recent changes to your setup (computer), he is asking if you made any changes to your computer's setup, was that when you first started noticing this slow down in connection? Those changes could include such things as installing or uninstalling software, updating critical patches, tweeking, adding new hardware, etc.

It would also help if we knew what operating system you have. Is it XP with SP1 or SP2, and all critical updates? Do you have a firewall installed or are you using XP's firewall (if you have XP that is). Do you use a hardware router? Do you have an antivirus installed and running? Do you have any other security software like popup blockers, anti-spyware programs (you've mentioned Webroot Spysweeper...did you jsut install that now or was this something you had prior to the slowdown of your pc?) Have you done any on-line antivirus scans and if so, was anything detected as infected?

The more information you can give us of your system and the problems you are seeing (explained in better detail), the better we can help you. :)

I will also have to move your thread from this Test Forum over into a more appropriate forum, but until I know what possibily could be causing your problem I'll leave your thread here for a bit longer......there will be a redirect link left behind when I do move it, so you will be able to click on that redirect arrow and it will take you to your thread's location.
    - Moved to Other Security Issues Forum

8. Lawn_boy

i did go to the microsoft website when this last bug hit PCs and it patched about 10 hotfix things....maybe it did start right after that. I have not changed any software up until that point that i remmeber. Should I uninstal those hotfixes.?

9. Lawn_boy

I have a XP home. And yes i have run virus, and everything i have run finds something

10. snapdragin

Hi Lawn_boy,

No, don't uninstall the hotfixes. One of they may be causing you some problems but I'm thinking it is more likely that it's an infection of some kind if I'm understanding your last post correctly when you say an anti-virus scan finds something. Can you please tell us what anti-virus program you are scanning with? Also...what exactly is it finding? :doubt:

If you could answer my other questions above, it would be most helpful too. :)

snap

11. Lawn_boy

AVG it found 3 things when i scanned with it..but it is the free version. I used amother version today and it didnt find anything, i looked back at AVG but it doesnt say what it has erased up until this point..

12. snapdragin

Lawn_boy, just to be sure your system is clear of any infection, could you please run an on-line scan at two of the sites listed below:

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Then follow the steps carefully in the General Cleaning Instructions thread, except for Step 11. Turning Off System Restore, skip that one for now and leave your System Restore enabled (if you have it enabled). We can always clean that out later if there is an infection found by any of the scans.

Also, since you've said you have Spy Sweeper, did you do a scan and did Spy Sweeper detect anything?

If any of the scans do find anything....please write down the name of the infection(s), the name of the file(s), and where they are located on your system, then let us know the results.

If you have any questions, just ask. :)

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.