Gameguard legality

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Hurricanetracker, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

There's a very intense discussion going on with regard to Nprotect/Gameguard being used by the new - very big - MMO by NCsoft called Aion.

Folks are debating not only how harmful it is but are also questioning the legality of bundling it with the MMO-client . As is known ,gameguard is a rootkit to prevent hacking and botting in MMO's .More info can be found here on its general description and the problems known - too date - with it with regard to other applications .

As can be seen two of the applications which seems "incompatible " are Kaspersky 2010 and Outpost Firewall Pro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NProtect_GameGuard

What I'd like to know is just how much resources it gobbles up when you start any game and which processes it affects . Do any of you know of a good program to analyze this ( preferably it needs to start+forget and write a log ) .

The main reason folks are concerned is that it apparently so buggy they need to disable their AV software and/or firewalls to even startup Aion ( which is still in open beta I should add, not released yet in western hemisphere) and UAC under Vista and Win 7 .

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Nprotect/Gameguard is a Rootkit, so you would need to use an ARK = AntiRootkit to properly try to analyise it.

Here's a few i can recommend to be going on with -

GMER

Rku

IceSword

Rootrepeal

Radix

KX-Ray

Plus you " might " be able to view " some " processes with ProcessExplorer/ProcessMonitor/Autoruns

-

Some info in here you might find useful -

High possibility of nProtect Gameguard being a rootkit - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136414

3. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

thanks . I'm assuming the problems folks are experiencing with all kinds of peripherals ( mice,keyboards , but also with windows processes like rundll32.exe ) stems from the fact Gameguard temporarily "hijacks " windows system files .

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have GameGuard installed on my PC because I used to play MapleStory. I'm not really sure how GameGuard works but I believe it infects itself into every running process. You can't tell how much memory it uses really because from what I remember it hides its own process and even the game's own processes.

How do you remove it? There's a tool called npkgameuninst (nProtect KeyCrypt Uninstaller) in the MapleStory folder. Is this the uninstaller for GameGuard? Will it completely remove it (including its 1 running process npkcmsvc.exe)? I want to get it off my PC.

Regards,

Mark.

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

xMarkx

If you don't use MapleStory anymore, have you tried uninstalling it ?

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

No, but the uninstaller for MapleStory may just uninstall MapleStory. I think npkgameuninst is for uninstalling GameGuard but I'm not sure.

Regards,

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.