Game card question.....

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Kathyhl, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

And this question comes from someone who's only played Solitaire on the PC, so I know nothing. My sister recently wanted to add more memory, but while at work the tech who works on her pc came in. She asked him about more memory and he said "why don't you buy another game card?" So I get an e-mail from her this morning asking me if I know anything about them, and I don't, so can someone explain to me how, why or if this would help her in any other aspect of her PC aside from playing games?

Thank you,

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

A cheap PC uses onboard video (OBV), which reduces the total available physical memory available for the PC (shared memory). Adding a separate video card (AGP or PCI) will release this memory currently allocated to the OBV. This will reduce the load on the CPU and provide a small increase in system performance..

If the PC already has a video card (AGP or PCI), then adding a more powerful card MAY help with the more advanced games. However, the PC will not see an increase in physical memory because the OBV is not in use.

3. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Thank you so much for the quick reply nod32_9. I did want to e-mail my sister before she got home from work, so I'll just c&p what you said to her! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.