G DATA IS2010: checking large data streams/downloads

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dallas7, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallas7

dallas7 Guest

Hello. I'm running G Data InternetSecurity 2010 on a Windows XP Pro SP3 system.

I've attached a screen shot of the dialogue I am referring to here.

I have a 7 mbps DSL PPPoE connection which isn't exactly screaming and sometimes you tube can't dole out packets with the greatest of efficiency usually due to convoluted routing to the content server.

Occasionally when I view a you tube video the entire file is checked before it runs in the browser. For example, if the flv is 75 MB and the connection is, say, 54-60 kB/s, the G Data Checking file... dialogue will pop up and if it takes the next ten to twenty minutes to complete, that's how long it will take to start viewing the you tube video.

I sent an inquiry to G Data support and received this response, quickly I might add...
    to: removed
    date: Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:26 AM
    subject Re: [Ticket#2removed6] G Data Serviceanfrage International
    Dear GDATA customer,
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    You must disable the webfilter in order for this to not take action. Thank you.
    For further questions please add all former correspondence.
    Sincere regards,
    removed
    G Data Software AG
    Service

Closing the G Data Checking download... dialogue will not stop the download. One needs to delete the site cookies and Flash LSOs associated with the content and then close the connection to the server. A somewhat daunting/impossible task for the casual user and tedious even for the propeller head geek.

From my experience so far, this behavior exists for all file types. If one downloads a 4 GB ISO then it won't be until the G Data download check is complete for the Windows open/save dialogue to appear. Thus, what is normally click & save & wait becomes click & wait & save.

It now seems apparent G Data's intercession of the incoming steam, regardless of the source or format, is absolute - a mixed blessing. While waiting on a full security scan prior to the file being saved, executed or presented is categorically thorough, it presents a "wrench in the cogs" experience for the instant gratification zero effort culture of the Internet, particularly for yoo tooberz.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is scanning the download isnt it, dont most do that. Or am I wrong.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I will give you one better. I reimaged a PC and put Eset on it before doing the big Microsoft downloads, like first, SP1, then SP2, geez do you always have to start from the 10 yard line. Anyway, I watched Eset scanning every file or whatever you call it from Microsoft as it was downloading.

By the way, G-Data is a good product in my thoughts.

Of course disabling Eset made it go a lot faster. lol

4. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Dont most scan fragments of the data while its coming through and send them to you as it gets scanned, so the stream starts (maybe with a tiny delay) rather than waiting for the whole video to download and then play it? (At least my AV has always done). Seems rather impractical waiting, especially for a stream of a video to buffer the whole file and then play it.

Dallas, isn't there some sort of exclusions you can add for certain websites or a setting which limits the buffer size or time?

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I had the same issue, You can exclude but only direct http not a website like youtube.com lets say i excluded youtube.com it would only exclude youtube.com not the link of the video ie "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI" you would have to manually exclude every single video you want to watch. :p

6. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Wow, that sucks.

How about using wildcards around the term youtube, eg, *youtube*

7. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

azazaz.PNG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Simple as as I stated in the end of post 4 :)

This seems a very reasonable if it works. Would have been very surprised if this or a similar option wasn't there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.