G Data InternetSecurity 2013 browsing question..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cimmerian, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Using G Data InternetSecurity 2013, I'm noticing some browsing issues. Web pages are slow to load, or display incorrectly. If I refresh the page, it almost instantly displays correctly. I've never had this issue with G Data before with any version earlier than 2013. I'm using Pale Moon 64 currently, was wondering if anyone else is seeing this also, I know zfactor mentioned a slow down. I haven't tried other browsers yet, but will if I have to..

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

GDATA Internet Security sucks for that reason.

either go for the AV alone or choose a diff. suite

3. Cimmerian

Berry, I'm one of the lucky ones who never experienced any slowdowns or heaviness with G Data, it's always worked well on my pc. This is the first time I've noticed anything, and I've used it for the past several versions. This version runs nice & light, except for some web pages.

4. jackmccoy

jackmccoy Registered Member

On my system, the problem was using both engines. When I told GData to use only one (either Engine A or Engine B) browsing seems unaffected.

Since Engine A (Bitdefender) is GData's first choice (the Avast engine only kicks in after Bitdefender gives its ok), that's the one I'm using. You can change it in the settings, btw.

Does this reduce GData's 99.9% effectiveness in the latest AV Comparatives? Probably, but not likely by that much. Overall, with this change my system responds much better than when I had BitDefender installed and with (probably) similar effectiveness between the two (since they're using the same engine) I am happy.

5. berryracer

have you edited your hosts file by any chance? That can drastically affect the webpage loading speed

6. Cimmerian

Thanks for the replies, guys. I doubt it's an engine issue, as I've said previous experience with G Data has always been extremely positive, and no, I haven't edited my hosts file. The more I think about it, I'm all but convinced it's a browser issue. When I get home later, I'll try IE, 32 & 64 bit versions, and see if that makes a difference. I wasn't using Pale Moon 64 the last time I had G Data installed, so we'll see..

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same type of things i saw while browsing

8. berryracer

as much as I hate Chrome, just give it a try and see the speed difference.

PS: I use Firefox, never had good experience with Palemoon or Waterfox

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's been apparently a, say, "known issue" for some unfortunate users from sometime now, which supposedly was fixed in their latest builds.

Try updating your I.S. version from the GUI. I personally have zero issues with the Antivirus product.

If you are interested, German Rokop forums link have more info in that regard.

10. Cimmerian

@berry, I don't like Chrome either, tried it many times, never stays on my pc for too long. This would have to be a last resort...lol. Pale Moons been very good for me so far, I used Waterfox for a while with no issues, but it lags too far behind with security updates, so I dropped it.

@Macstorm, I checked the version through the gui right after I installed IS, my build is current, guess I'm one of those unfortunates. Thanks for the forum link, will definitely browse through it later..:thumb:

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You're welcome pal ;)

May I also suggest you to try the "chrome-based" Iron (Chromium) browser, definitely the real fastest browser on the earth to me :cool: with zero lags or privacy concerns like Chrome.
    It'll sure make you forget everything else.

12. zfactor

@cim i feel the same way i think i would use ie10 before chrome honestly.

13. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

G-Data IS 2013 here.

I have no slowdown on my laptop, my brothers computer and my parents notebook at 1.5 Ghz. No browsing speed issues and no system lag. I am even using it on my main laptop with full disc encryption and no lag on the system or browser.

What's my secret?

Defragment your HDD with a good tool like ultimate defrag, and use CCleaner to fix your registry issues and clean your temp files. I would also recommend auslogics registry defragmentation tool.

I have no problems with G-data, its works great for me. Oh and no lag using VPN's either.

14. berryracer

this is a bunch of BS. All these things you mentioned are snake oil with the exception of the defragmentation but that wouldnt make any diff. in browsing for god's sake!

15. Cimmerian

Well, Pale Moon was the culprit. Tried IE, worked fine. Uninstalled Pale Moon, cleaned up its leftovers, and reinstalled it. Same issues. Uninstalled it again, installed Waterfox, which is running perfectly. I'll keep Waterfox for a bit, as it's supposed to be updated shortly.

16. berryracer

Dude, I told you man! do yourself a favor and get rid of Waterfox as well before you run into another issue and not know what it is...

Install Firefox only! Waterfox offers nothing more and is not compatible with some add-ons, like IETAB for example.

Why do we have to use a modified buggy version of a browser that is perfect in the first place?

17. Taliscicero

Snake oil? Speak for yourself.

You have a habit of claiming something as truth and going back on it later, and saying something is bad and later its good. Just look at your thread on why BitDefender sucks, who is now using BitDefender?

I have never had PC problems for the past 5-10 years and all software runs perfectly on my slightly dated system.

So please, do not claim what I'm saying is not true.

Defragmentation make reads & writes faster. Same with defragmenting the registry. And cleaning out temporary internet files and computer files means your system does not have to hold onto them which slows it down.

Take your lack of logic elsewhere.

18. berryracer

What I said about Bitdefender was true at the time. Now they have released an update which fixed all the issues
    defragmenting your registry WILL NOT improve speed.

19. Taliscicero

Explain why compacting something in a more logical order does not improve it. Its like me saying that I don't want to sort the books on my bookshelf because it does not improve the speed that I can read them.

20. berryracer

1) can you show benchmarks of before/after defragging the registry?

2) the registry is a few MBs in size compacting itb by 1 or 2% will NOT give you better performance buddy

21. Taliscicero

Show me statistics that show chaos is a smarter and faster system then order.

The very logic behind what I'm saying is un reputable because logic by itself is more efficient then non-logic based actions and events.

Stacking 10 papers to give to the paperboy may take 2 seconds, but shoving them all in his bag in no order will take less time. Guess what, he will deliver those 10 papers much faster with the order then dis-order.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  22. zfactor

cubonescastle i agree with you 100% on this but there is no sense arguing with him. from the past it has led to no where with anyone. and berry while sometimes we agree but most of the time disagree what you really should do is say i disagree with that statement or something like that instead of jumping down someones throat saying they are full of bs or they dont know what they are doing etc i have over 21 years experience and own an actual business etc and there are people out there who know what they are talking about who even have more backround than me and i know that. i also believe in defragging on a regular basis and YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!! my wifes laptop after a image restore with active @disk image was taking FOREVER to boot. i did a boot time defrag and a disk defrag and it boots lightning fast. nothing else was done. it was due to the windows files being crazy fragmented one file had more than 200 fragments.

i dont want to start a arguement with you but you could be a bit easier on people everyone is entitled to their opinion. ive seen you on other boards (when you used to use a different name) and it was the same way, to have a opinion is a freedom that anyone has today online...

again please dont take this the wrong way i dont mean it to be offensive to you but you are always making threads about a product or something or something like this and the first time someone disagrees with you, you will jump down their throat. and if i did offend you here i apologize. but as i said everyone is entitled to their ideas and to what software they like or dislike.

23. Cimmerian

Just saw all of this...no need to argue guys, just agree to disagree! I also feel that defragging is beneficial, it's definitely sped up slow computers for me in the past as well, especially my kids pc's. Like zfactor said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, plus you have to keep in mind that what works well for some people doesn't always work well for others. Just browse this forum, you see it all the time.
    BTW, I like the reg defrag tool from Advanced Uninstaller Pro, use it every month or so..

24. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Are you out of your mind? Have you got a car? If you are driving a lot then you have to maintin it every week or every month. Why are PCs different? You have to clean the components from dust and you have to clean it with softwares. It depends on how you are using it but it needs cleaning as a car needs cleaning after a long trip.

25. Taliscicero

Thanks guys. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.