FYI: New Microsoft security patch announced.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

2. Close_Hauled

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Not another bloody critical vulnerability... I hope this patch actually works. :p

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hmmm, what's it apply to? I went in via Win Update, and nothing new's showing there, Critical or otherwise, as of couple of minutes ago (call it 10 PM EDT).
    ---
    (Edit) Just answered my own question, by looking at that original link -- it only applies if you've "upgraded" Win Update to the new ver. 5. MS says that customers still using ver. 4 ("the vast majority", according to them, and includes me) aren't affected.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

^^^
    What do you exactly mean, with "not affected"? Anyway, I don't get it I'm on win98SE, and I ain't seeing any critical update, aren't there any patches being released anymore for this OS?

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've got the patch from Windows update a few days back.

7. Close_Hauled

This applies to v4 and v5. All of my work computers are Windows 2000, using v4, and they downloaded the patch Monday. My home computer is Windows XP, using v5, and it updated Sunday.

Close Hauled

8. Close_Hauled

I believe that Microsoft just extended support for Windows 98 due to pressure from Linux in third world contries, where Windows 98 and ME are still in heavy use. I read it somewhere in Tom's Hardware Guide. I believe that there is a thread here on it too.

Close Hauled

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Ok, let me clarify a little (or at least try).

Other than this one, the latest update was the July 30th one for IE, right? According to the bulletin in Close_Hauled's second post (i.e., the more recent bulletin), if you use WinUp 5 then a portion of that update wasn't included but is now available.

But if you got the July 30th update via WinUp 4, it was complete on the first try, so you don't need anything more.

Clear as mud now? ;)

10. Rasheed187

Anyone with an answer, I really don't see any of the latest critical updates, so maybe my system isn't affected? o_O

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Win 98 Home page here. Update notices, etc.

12. Rasheed187

^^^

Thanks for the page Ronjor, but did you look at the page? You will see that it will not provide a single update for Win9X, I really don't understand it. :(

I read that MS will support this OS at least till 2006, but when I go to Windows Update I'm not getting to see any of the latest patches for the high risk holes, anyone else with this problem?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.