Future plans for F-Prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

With the engine releasing today, and you did great, I am curious to see if this is going to be part of a suite and what else may or may not be added overtime. Again, the new release looks really great.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Removed by dw2108

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

More and more AV companies are dropping support for Windows 9x and I bet in less then 2 years there won’t a single AV company to support Windows 9x.Microsoft dropped it, why shouldn’t they. Besides how many virus writers will target Windows 9x? ;)

tD

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Not to sound rude here, but where have we "promised" Windows 9X support? Those OS's are not even supported by Microsoft anymore. So what do you guys expect actually? That a AV company supports outdated, unsupported OS's instead on concentrating on the new stuff aka Vista? It's only a matter of a (short) time when other companies dropping this support too.

EDIT: Technodrome posted nearly the same in the meanwhile when i was writing. So please excuse me, we cannot be so wrong with this :)

6. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

It would be nice if they develop (or buy) a firewall thats just as easy and effective as the AV :D
    Im not knowing how the spyware capabilities are? If bad, then it would be cool to incorporate an ASW module.

*puppy*

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A few off topic posts removed.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I fully agree; Windows 9x is just too outdated to keep supporting anymore. For the record, Windows NT 4.0 is also not supported by F-Prot 4 as well as many other AV programs. However, I do find it nice that Windows 2000 is still supported by F-Prot, unlike a few of the major players like Symantec and Microsoft who have decided to ditch Win2k support.

As such, F-Prot has developed to become a really good product, and a suite would definitely be well received.

9. Inspector Clouseau

To come back to the original question; first priority is to release a stable and good working AV engine. If this works you can think about a suite. There are many things to consider for a good working suite, it's not only mixing a few components together.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks IC, appreciate it and again, great work to the whole F=Prot development team.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, a security suite is composed of:

-Antivirus
    -Antispyware/Antimalware

-Firewall
    -Antispam
    -Backup utility(optional)

FRISK already has half of the components :D

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think most will end up giving the option for more,

dr.web have the antivirus / antimalware and a firewall is very close i hear.

its only a matter of time before all av companys get into the full security i think, it seems the way to go these days.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

and Antirootkit in suites today and in av's

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

kudos to the inspector,

he's always here, giving views and asking for other ppls views and putting it towards the software, good work.

ive personally never tried f-prot so i cant say its amazing or poor or whatever, but from recent reviews of ppl, it all looks good.

i would like to see a screeshot of the new version though, just for curiousity reasons.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well give me a chance to pick up my kid, and I will purchase a copy and show you, or better yet, why not try the 30 day trial.:cautious:

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

It has taken a long time to upgrade from F-Prot 3, give Frisk time to develop this version first.

Stability, more features, more configurability ( particularly of the RTM), improving the engine/unpackers etc, then they can think about a possible Suite.

17. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I agree. Let Frisk concentrate on improving this updated AV. Would be nice if they can start adding more of the spyware/riskware/keylogger signatures as other products are doing this. It would take years for a new firewall imo. They would need a huge department for this. There are already firewall products available today that's outstanding. They might want to consider in getting a license from the top firewalls like Outpost than creating one from scratch. IC has already done a heck of a change with F-Prot. Keep up the great work IC and Frisk Team! :)

18. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I could not agree more, people should leave Frisk be, and let them continue refining their current offering, instead of badgering them for a firewall and suite. There are plenty of firewalls and suites to chose from already, let them do what they do best, antivirus.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then I apologize for my thread and you are correct. I guess I was just asking, where they saw themselves, say 2 years from now. But I do agree that concentrating on task one is the priority, or they need not look 2 years from now. So sorry mac, just trying to ask a dumb question.:)

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why does everyone clamor for Suites? I hate them. What appeals to me about F-Prot is that it is just an AV which is what I want. If I want an anti-spyware scanner or anti-trojan, I'll get those too. I want to use a layered approach with each application being the one I choose. Never put all your eggs in one basket...bad idea.

I still have a 98SE computer as my second computer. It needs virus protection if I use dial up with it because it is networked so very vulnerable when not behind my router. About a year ago I used it on dial up and almost immediately got Opaserve...at the time I had NOD32 protecting it so that was ok but what if there were no AV's for W98SE? I'd have to never use it on dialup for sure. The computer is too old to put XP on it. I'd rather see support for older OSes (I know lots of folks who still use a 98SE computer) than suites which are so unnecessary. But I agree that all this talk is way premature. Let Frisk get this new version working great and perfected, etc. before going on about what they might do two years from now.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I prefer seprates as well. but my dad wanted to get a suite.
    I want to use kav6 with comodo but my dad wanted the suite.
    lodore

22. Supportguy

Supportguy Registered Member

To answer the comments about F-PROT support for 9x OS's You also have to take into account that F-PROT will continue to support 3.16f for windows 98 and up with definition updates till 11th of july 2008. So Frisk software has not dropped support for windows 98 (yet) with the launch of F-PROT version 6.

To support this check the F-PROT page here for the life cycle policy of Frisk.
    Linky

23. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I still have an email from F-Prot where-in I was told that there would be at least version 3.16g for 98/98 SE systems. The author of this email was named, "Mike." What or who am I to believe?

Dave

24. Supportguy

Supportguy Registered Member

I never said that there wouldn't be a software upgrade for the 3.x version of F-Prot as such decisions are not taken by me but the developers. I was commenting on that support for 98 will be continued till 2008 and isn't dead with the release of this new version. (At least not just yet) :)

25. Inspector Clouseau

Right. Version 3.X is for 9X. Now where does it say that version 4 is for 9x?
    That only means that we don't drop v3 completely after v4. BUT v3 will not be continued with development. That you still get virus updates for it is however another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.