Future of PrivateFirewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stephentony, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

I have used PFW in the past (a great super lightweight combo when paired with Webroot WSA) but development seems to have slowed drastically in the past year. There have been a few rumors that maybe the end was near so I posed a couple of questions to Greg Salvato regarding development and the future of PFW and this is what he had to say:

I am curious as to how any of you interpret that brief but very interesting reply. Reading between the lines, could this mean the end of PFW as a free product? Pursuing various business models/options strikes me as an effort to save PFW by possibly teaming it with another project and/or with another company. Am I reading too much into his comment? What do you think? It would be a shame to lose such a great free firewall when the field of free products has dwindled so much from what it was 5 years ago.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

It's hard to read the tea leaves on this one. I used PFW for a long long time, & was one of its ardent boosters/supporters/fanboyz. I don't use it right now, but only because I don't think I need PFW's HIPS component. If PFW did "go commercial" -- at a reasonable price -- I would definitely buy a copy for a gift to my my son. It is a superb security app, & Greg is a very very responsive & competent source of tech support for it.

3. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

I agree with everything you said bellgamin, but that is not surprising since I usually do. I know you were a big supporter going way back. Remember DSA? The stand alone I mean. You're right Greg is :thumb:

4. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Sounds like they may be investing in, bought out by, or merging with another company in the future.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

PFW is never been as much a favorite for my camp as it's (free) competitors but I always have found it very useful and left it on a couple of my machines in a layered security environment. It sure would have been nice though if they could have devoted just a little more attention to building on it before whatever it ends up being, on the heap or commercial. Just my 2 cents worth of interest FWIW :doubt::doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.