Full system scan?

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by GSL, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSL

GSL Registered Member

I performed a full system scan by selecting it via the main GUI and it completed in about 2~ mins while a full system scan executed through right click on a system drive and select "scan with webroot" took much longer(about an hour), just want to know whether it is a bug or by design.

Using WSA AV trial with Norton 360 real time protection disabled, internet connection was active during both scan.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It is likely that when right-clicking a system drive to scan it is akin to doing a full scan of all local hard drives. The deep scan actioned via the GUI is looking for rootkits, trojans et al in the places they're known to reside, including the Windows Registry and system memory. It is, therefore, not scanning the whole system cutting down scan times considerably. The deep scan is the default scan and is recommended.

There are other scan options, and you can see these on the GUI under PC Security/Scan/Custom scan.

3. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Ok, any idea when one right click a system drive to scan is it base on cloud server or local signature sets? With regards to my preceding question i forgot to add that all settings is on default.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It's still going to the cloud but indeed it will take quite a bit longer and not necessary for the average user (it is, however, helpful for network administrators running file servers).

Hope that helps!

5. GSL

GSL Registered Member

I only felt assure knowing that it is indeed performing a deep system scan via right clicking a system drive since it scan all files as compared to via the GUI which performed a 2 mins "deep scan" beside longer scanning time it consumed quite a significant amount of system resources(Noticed via task manager that 1 of the svchost.exe processes took up more than 100mb ram usage).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There really isn't a need to scan ALL files on the system. The Deep Scan is looking into the system where malware such as rootkits etc. are known to hide. Generally, you don't need to run the Full Scan at all as you get complete protection from the Deep Scan. If you have realtime scanning enabled at the same time, that'll give you protection around the clock.

7. GSL

GSL Registered Member

The problem is the deep scan is more of a quick scan examining certain checkpoints only but i could be wrong.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If you go to the PC security tab you can click custom scan it it will give you the options Quick scan, Deep scan, Full scan and Custom scan.

9. GSL

GSL Registered Member

There could be a bug which is when i perform a scan via right click of a system drive and my PC rebooted with no error or warning message during the scan(Didn't realize it as i was away for dinner, saw that it was scanning when i left) and ran another scan via the same method and it uncovered 2 virus.

10. PrevxHelp

The cloud definitions change all the time so it's possible that they changed between your scans. You may want to write into our support inbox to see if they can find what caused the detections.

11. PrevxHelp

This is exactly correct :thumb:

12. GSL

GSL Registered Member

I'm using WSA AV as a on-demand scanner only as I am protected with other security solution. Since WSA is quite new, just want to find out how well it perform before i deploy to all of my PCs..have a 2 years sub with 5 user license pack.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.