"Full scan" only scans 75 files when no removable media present

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sedell, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sedell

sedell Registered Member

We've started adding Windows 7 x64 machines to our network. They are all running 4.2.71, are in the same ERAS group along with the Windows XP x86 machines, using the same policy. The scan profile is set to scan Operating memory, Hard Drives, Hard Drive boot sectors, Removable Media, Removable Media boot sectors. Only a few of the Win 7 x64 machines have optical drives, but the majority do not.

When the scan runs on the machines with the optical drives, the scan runs as expected. The scan targets are listed as something like the following, and scanned files runs anywhere from ~90k to ~400k files.

Code:
    Operating memory;D:\Boot sector;E:\Boot sector;D:\;E:\;C:\Boot sector;C:\
    When the scan runs on the machines without optical drives, it's much different. The scan targets resembles the following line, and scanned files is either 75, 82, or 165 for every machine, with the majority reporting 75 files scanned.

Code:
    Operating memory;;;C:\Boot sector;C:\
    Has anyone run into this or found a work-around/fix? I find it hard to believe that the scanner chokes and fails when there are no removable media devices found. For some machines, the existence of removable media could change daily, so grouping them based on removable media isn't an option.

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Please indicate which scan profile you are using. Is it a context menu scan? In Depth scan? Smart scan?

As always, for faster response and easier submission of necessary data, I encourage you to submit a technical support ticket.

Thanks,

Matt

3. sedell

sedell Registered Member

It's a custom scan profile that is run on a schedule. It started out as an in-depth with a few changes:

Setup\Scan Targets: Operating Memory, Hard Drives, Hard Drive boot sectors, Removable Media, Removable Media boot sectors
    Setup\Preserve last access timestamp: Yes
    Scanner
    Options\Potentially unsafe applications: Yes
    Cleaning\Cleaning Level: Strict
    Limits\Maximum archive size (bytes): 838860800

4. rcash

rcash Registered Member

I have the same issue in my organization. In fact I have noticed it ever since version 4.0.x. If you have removable drives selected in a scan (a scheduled weekly custom scan in our case) and there are no removable drives present it will only scan the operating memory and then stop. If you have a removable drive everything works just fine.

We have worked around this by creating two scheduled weekly scans that run on different days. One for all hard drives and the other for only removable drives.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I was unable to reproduce it. Try disabling smart optimization in the used scan profile to exclude the possibility that the files were already cached.

6. sedell

sedell Registered Member

Smart optimization is not enabled.

7. sedell

sedell Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Pretty ridiculous to have to schedule multiple scans to get around something like this. If there's no removable media, it should just continue with the next item on the list, or do the drives first so when it quits at the removable media, the rest of the scan is already complete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.