Full disk Restore with multiple partitions on separate imaging schedules

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Seawulf, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seawulf

Seawulf Registered Member

I read a lot in the forum about various backup strategies. They all seem to include partitioning of the system's drive into 2 to 3 (I've seen up to 9) partitions. One for the System, one for Data and another for whatever...

I have had boot failures without imaging software and they are a real pain. So, now that I have ATI 10 and Disk Director Suite, I want to set up a decent scheme.

As I am set up now, with Vista, my first image of my single-partition system, data, everything drive the image was 138 gigs. That is larger than I want to be dealing with every week or so. So, I really would like to develop a multi-partition strategy so I can deal with smaller image files and schedule backups more consistent with the need based on files changing.

But, I am concerned about the recommendation to make full disk images and full disk restores, for instance that appears in Note 1 of the "True Image Home Beginner's Guide to restoring a basic full disk archive". As I understand it, if you have to restore your boot drive, because of a boot failure/MBR problem, you would want to restore the original MBR/Track 0 which includes the partition structure. Apparently, if you restore the MBR/Track 0 from your 3-partition disk but only restore the MBR/Track0 and system partition, the disk will probably not boot. I gather that, if you are clever enough and have the right application, you can just edit the disk MBR and correct the partition descriptions. But I am not that clever.

I would plan to have those 2 to 3 partitions imaged on separate schedules, each dealing with smaller image files.

If that is done, will ATI allow me to restore the MBR/Track0 and System partition, then, separately restore the data partition, then separately restore whatever the 3rd partition would be? And, is that the 'accepted' method of having multiple partitions, individually scheduled for imaging, yet restoring the entire bootable disk?

Thanks for your help,
    Charlie

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Seawulf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that restoration of "MBR and Track 0" is necessary only in cases when you restore to an upartitioned drive, or if you have an custom/unusual MBR (for example, because of a boot manager installed). In any case, all latest versions of Acronis True Image back up "MBR and Track 0" along with any partition image.
    Imaging multiple partitions separately is an acceptable method, and that way partitions can be restored to recreate the original layout of the drive, or to create a new layout.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.