Full Disk Encryption: GPT capable / multi-platform capable

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by thunderratt, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thunderratt

thunderratt Registered Member

I have been doing a lot of searching and I am not getting anywhere. I am going to set up a new laptop like this:

GPT (GUID Partition Table) instead of MBR
    GRUB 2 boot loader (probably)
    Windows 7
    Several Linux distributions with
    - /root
    - swap (shared)
    - /home (shared)
    - /boot (maybe or may just put in the root of each Linux distribution)

Hardware is Intel i7 processor, 4gig RAM, 500GB hard drive 7200 speed

OK: What I am trying to find is a software that allows for full disk encryption allowing GPT and support for these operating systems. I was thinking Truecrypt did but then read that it did not support something like this. I want one full disk encryption software that will envelopeo_O all of my partitions and will allow for a boot password before loading any operating systems.

Any help? Thank you!

2. lkraav

lkraav Registered Member

i would go with truecrypt for the windows partition and dm-crypt/luks for linux. i am not aware of any software that is completely x-platform and can handle booting multiple OS within a single installation.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Truecrypt has a native Linux version and TC volumes can be viewed from Linux or Windows. Or if you go the dm-crypt/LUKS route, there is a Windows program that will allow you to access those partitions too. However, I would probably go with TC since the Windows version of LUKS is not very mature.

4. thunderratt

thunderratt Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll figure out which way to go now after reading up on the options. Should be fun o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.