Full Backups on DAT cartridges

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ematisopa, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ematisopa

ematisopa Registered Member

Hi !

Acronis Corporate Support answering me wrote:

All of the backups (full + incrementals/differentials) should be saved on the same tape. You can not save the full backup on 2 or more cassettes because you will not be able to restore it.

Does it really mean that a full backup wich uses 2 cartdridges could never be restored ? I hope that I didn't understand !

PAscal

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That is really a tough way to do Backups and Recovery. How long does it take you to make the Backup?

3. ematisopa

The full backup is 3 hours long and uses 2 cartridges. Why ?

PAscal

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's rare to find someone using tape for backups nowadays. Another hard drive (external or internal) will be so much faster and a viable option considering the present prices of hard drives.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ematisopa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am sorry for the misleading information you were provided.

Please note that if there is no space on the tape to store the backup Acronis True Image will prompt you to insert another tape to continue backup creation.

Please have a look at this KB article <Working with Acronis True Image and Tape Drives> to find the limitations of using Acronis True Image corporate products with tape drives.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. ematisopa

Hi Aleksandr

Sorry but it's not clear :

Please note that if there is no space on the tape to store the backup Acronis True Image will prompt you to insert another tape to continue backup creation.

If so why ? Alexander Brajkin from Acronis Support wrote :

A backup to a tape drive should be saved only on one tape. Saving it on more than one tape makes impossible to restore this backup.

Does it have a sens to ask for a second tape when the first one is full if the result would be impossible to restore o_O

Please I'm very confused about it and want to know exactly what happens if the backup use 2 tapes.

Best regards
    PAscal

7. ematisopa

Hi !

So, somebody said : "Please note that if there is no space on the tape to store the backup Acronis True Image will prompt you to insert another tape to continue backup creation."

and somebody else said : "A backup to a tape drive should be saved only on one tape. Saving it on more than one tape makes impossible to restore this backup."

And nobody can't says who is right and who is wrong ? It's not clear and I would appreciate any information about it.

Still waiting for any answer of Acronis support team, I ask again my question :

Does it have a sens to ask for a second tape when the first one is full if the result would be impossible to restore ?

Please I'm very confused about it and want to know exactly what happens if the backup use 2 tapes.

Best regards
    PAscal

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ematisopa,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that I have consulted with the appropriate person in the Acronis Development Team, he assured me that the image archive can be stored on more that one tape. And as I stated in the above post Acronis True Image will prompt you to insert another tape to continue backup creation, if the previous one is full.

The only limitation for the restore process is that you will not be able to resize the partition during the restoration (even if the archive stored on a singe cassette).

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.