Full Backup & Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ct2005, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ct2005

ct2005 Registered Member

I am new to using ATI 10. I am trying out to see if a simple full backup, follow by a full restore will work or not. I am stuck.

Step 1 : I manage to do a full backup (whole harddisk with all partitions) together with full version of ATI 10 to DVD+R disc (total 2 discs). (although during the burning process, ATI 10 only recognize my drive as CD-RW drive, that is weird.)

Step 2: I boot my computer using the disc. Acronis successfully loaded and I choose ATI (Full version). Next, I choose "Recovery". However, on the left side of the screen, when I try to locate the backup file (*.tib) in the DVD-Drive, nothing was display for me to choose. When I click on all other local harddisk drives, the contents are displayed except the DVD drive.

I have tried to press F11, enter the command " quiet acpi=off noapic" but not useful. Anyone can enlighten me on this?

2. ct2005

ct2005 Registered Member

Anyone can help me with the above problem?

I cannot load the backup image file, thus I cannot test whether ATI 10 can actually do a full restore of my whole harddisk.

Any ideas?

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello ct2005,

TI not reporting the optical drive with the proper name is an old bug. It seems persisting in ver.10. But that doesn't make any difference as far as working is concerned.

About the contents not showing, try clicking on the Back button and then on Next to return to the same screen. The DVD inserted first should be the last one of the image set.

Anyway, starting the trial of any version of True Image (or any imaging software) by going straight to restore the system (?) drive, is a dangerous approach. More so if the image is stored on DVDs. If due to your setup the restore failed, you would end with an empty drive.

Validating the image is imperative, but it's not enough. Create another image, storing it on HD (may be the same HD imaged, even the system partition), validate and mount the image, browse through the mounted image, then unmount. Try a restore to a spare drive if you have one, or to an empty partition. Backup and restore some files or folders. A real restore from DVDs should be the last step.

I trust you did read the User's Guide.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I don't believe the trial version will restore from the Recovery CD (if it did, you wouldn't need to buy the program would you?). If you can verify your backup from the Recovery CD, you know that it is reading your backup file correctly, and the paid version will restore from the CD.

Try the restore from the Windows environment. That can be set to not work after the trial period ends, so it will do the restore.

5. ct2005

ct2005 Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try out the suggestions you guys mentioned.

I printed the user guide and read everything. ATI 10 claims to provide so many complicated features which a general user like me will never use.

I just would like be able to do a full backup on my freshly formatted & installed computer so that I can do a full restore when some viruses, worms, spyware or adware plague my computer beyond repair.

Why is it that a real restore from DVD is the last resort? If I were to backup to CD-R, I will have to use 20 to 30 discs. Personally, I did have some bad experience with burning movies or data to DVDs. A few discs failed on me with error in reading the disc. It seems like the DVD is less reliable in storing data. I dunno whether is it the problem with the DVD-Drive itself or the quality of the DVD disc or the speed of burning.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I only make backups to DVD in the two step method: make the image to a hard drive, and then burn it to the required number of DVDs. However, I amost never do even that.

My backups are on external hard drives or a second internal hard drive or a second partition of a single internal hard drive because backups to hard drives are faster and easier to restore.

7. ct2005

ct2005 Registered Member

I just tried the above and it just cannot display the backup file for me to choose. I name the backup file as "Full Backup 02-12-2006.tib". Does it matters if the filename are long, since bootup environment is somewhat Linux-based?

It took me 30mins to do a full backup direct to 2 DVDs. Well, I wouldn't mind if the backup slow compare to backup to HD. But could it be that ATI 10 was not able to properly burn the image to DVD during direct backup to DVD such that the *.tib file cannot be displayed during bootup for me to select?
    Anyway, I try to do selective restore in Windows XP, I can successfully restore the folders I want.

Am I the only one who encounter problems while trying to do full backup to DVD instead of HD?

8. ct2005

ct2005 Registered Member

I also tried booting from a Bart PE with ATI included disc. However, the problem of not displaying the content of the backup disc still exist.

9. barron99

barron99 Registered Member

Full Restore Problem

I am having trouble restoring my hard drive using the backed up image on an external drive. I am using ATI 9.1 (3694). I mount the image and can explore the image, but when I boot to the recovery disc and try to restore I get an error stating that the image is corrupt. Let me mention that this is the first time I have used the software and thus far am very displeased!!! It took me a couple of days to setup my computer and then mounting the image, once I reinstalled all my software, and removed all important data. Ghost is much more dependable, which is the primary requirement of backup software. My question is how do I burn a complete image of my computer to CD-R's? I want to make room for my Ghost images on my external drive, since that is the software I will be depending on. Sorry if the message is more complaining the anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.