Frustrated with rollback software offerings

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WDD, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WDD

WDD Registered Member

Own a bunch of Drive vaccine licenses, and may not have been fastidious keeping up with hardware reconfigurations. Now am pummeled by these nag screens indicating "licenses have been used up".

Now I know it's difficult for software companies to be paid, and understand the reasoning for these controls. But the actual end result is just too much of a hassle....I'm ready to tell all vendors "keep it".

So I'm asking: Is there any reasonable open source product out there which will even "kinda do" the job? I'm just looking for a way to make system volumes read only while allowing for *minor* updates and changes. If clonezilla could do incremental images....might be tempted to go that way and just fu-get-about-it.

I really liked Drive vaccine, but the support is irregular and the nags quite irritating. Can anyone send me to someone else?

2. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

3. WDD

WDD Registered Member

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

have you tried EASEUS Todo Backup Home? its not a roll back software per say but can function like one (although much slower and much safer malware wise)

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/

the paid version has a snapshot feature too which might be to your liking

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I bought the above paid version. The snapshot program is a disaster. Spent one month on this forum and with their support, in the end had to reformat.

Better one on the same technolgy as above is:

http://farstone.com/software/restore-it.php

6. treehouse786

didn't you try the 2.0 version? this is the new release (2.5)

7. aladdin

The difference between the free version and the paid version is the snapshot technology.

No way, I am going to try their snapshot technology again. No way, I want to stress myself again like that. No way, I want to reformat my computer again.

They came out with v2.0 about three months ago. Now they have come up with v2.5 and the upgrade is free, but I have to send them an email for this upgrade.

What happened to v2.01, v2.1, v2.01, v2.2 ........

Very soon they will be out with v3.0 and then I pay to them again.

8. aladdin

Product : EASEUS Todo Backup Workstation
    Version : 2.5
    Download expire : Before 2011-02-26 20:37:24
    Download running total : 0
    Download times Left : 5
    Expired download. You should : [Ask additional download]

I just signed into my account with them. This is what is posted for me on my account.

The above is nothing but gibbersh to me!

Version 2.5 is released recently, but my download expires before Before 2011-02-26 20:37:24.

9. treehouse786

you make a good point.

for me personally, nothing can touch acronis in features and ease of use. been a happy user for years. and the restores are so fast on my SSD that it feels like a rollback software!!

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there, from memory I thought you had a great deal of imaging software. Out of curiosity why would you reformat instead of using an image from another company, was your partition table damaged?

11. aladdin

You have a very good memory. Before, I rejoined this forum about six months ago, I didn't used to believe in imaging software. I am not sure, if I still believe in imaging software. To me hassles of imagimg and ever growing Windows registry is better than reformating.

But I have learned a lot on this forum, and in the seven or so months being back on this forum, I have purchased every imaging program conceivable, not still not sold on them. Spend almost a thousand buck on them.

However, my nightmares with EASEUS Todo Workstation are in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293669

Kind regards,

KOR!

12. guest

guest Guest

I use a image program but in a unusual way
    I use Acronis True Image 8 but I do not use the
    actual program that was designed to be installed
    on your computer, instead I just created the restore
    boot-up disk and deleted the program after that

Then I created the Secure Zone and the Recovery Manager
    which gives you the ability to just key F11 when you reboot
    just in case Windows fails

Then I do all imaging and restores from that and I do all
    imaging and restores from outside of Windows and I keep all
    images on a external drive, I also have MASTER IMAGES
    on DVD disks just in-case the sh** hits the fan:thumb:

So far this has saved me many times

13. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

One of my computers I image on a monthly (or less often) "Schedule". I bought Acronis TI and just use the rescue disk. I keep two images on two separate USB drives. And rotate through them on occasion. This is my backup. And as far as I'm concerned, for a home user, this is a bullet-roof recovery solution.

And on my sandbox computer I just use Rollback RX. I've abused Rollback RX quite a bit by powering off with the power switch as opposed to shutting down with the windows buttons. Never had a problem.

I find it quite amusing, with RX, that the data on the drive tends to stay put in one place more, it's just the references in the directories and MFT's and pointers is what changes.

14. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Once a time, there was a good freeware to do that, Comodo Time Machine.
    Now it's a R.I.P. program :(

15. treehouse786

this is due to the fact that Windows 8 will come with a built in snapshot feature :thumb:

16. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I didn't know it was gone.

What happened ? Did they just abandone the program or did something else occer ?

17. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

This is just hearsay, but from what I'm told Comodo illegally acquired the source-code for a prior version of Rollback Rx from an ex-Rollback employee-programmer and went on to modify the program's cosmetics, etc. After receiving a cease & desist letter from Rollback Rx, Comodo decided to abandon the project to avoid litigation.

Aaron

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  18. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Ahh.... that makes sense. There had always been speculation about how and from where Comodo had obtained their code, but no one actually came out and said as much.

Some had stated it sort of had the look and feel of EZ-Fix/Rollback.

Tim

19. Aaron Here

Getting back to the OP, I'd like to point out the following:

1. Drive Vaccine is not a 'rollback' software offering; it is a 'sandbox' software offering.

2. In my opinion, rollback-type programs (which belong to the class of ISRs) have come a long way since their inception, especially insofar as system stability!

3. Certainly ISRs are miles ahead of Microsoft's System Restore (which is next to useless)!

4. As with using any app, in order to use an ISR effectively (and avoid frustration), you should understand what it is and what it's not (as well as the do's and don'ts)!

5. I believe that ISR's serve a very useful purpose and will continue to mature.

Aaron

20. treehouse786

i have heard that windows 8 will have a built-in ISR system restore/snapshot feature :thumb:

21. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Nice! Not to go off topic but it's also rumored Windows 8 will play XBOX 360 games.

22. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Windows 8 rumors here that it will feed and take care of my cat and teach her some french tunes.

23. Aaron Here

This is all OT, but still LMAO. :D

24. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

At least you can still download the install from over there if you trust it. I do (probably my most useful app)! I do keep a copy of the setup .exe(s) on both this desktop and my laptop in case they should ever take it down. Also have the MBR (The Achilles heal of SS software) backed up with Paragon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.