Frustrated with OS Selector.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mrtee, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

I am frustrated with OS Selector included with DDS 9.0.537.

I spent 12 hours with it yesterday (5-5-05) trying to install a 2nd copy of XP to another HDD.

I followed the instructions on pages 97 to 103 of the manual. OSS installs fine, the primary partiton is created on HDD 2, the primary partition on HDD1 can NOT be set as primary only - the active check box is dimmed and checked, the primary on HDD 2 is set active and dimmed as well. Neither can be made inactive!

Today I moved the primary partition (40 Gb) from HDD 1 (160 Gb) to HDD 2 (200 Gb) and made the 200 Gb HDD master so that I can attempt installation of a 2nd install of XP on that drive (200 Gb) the 160 Gb drive has been made slave. I do have 2 more 200 Gb HDDs on a Promise controller card.

Am I better off installing OSS 8.0.917 as a custom install to its own partition then installing OSS from DDS as an upgrade to update those files? Or is it better to install OSS from DDS as a typical install (to the C root)?

I was never able to get OSS 8.0.917 (purchased March 2003) to work either and finally gave uo on it.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice will be greatfully appreciated.

2. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

This is what I did, maybe it will help someone else.

Installation order of OS Selector

5/7/05

All of the following was done from the XP GUI.

10:09 AM) Created TruImage of "C" before starting to insatll OS Selector.

10:30 AM) Installed OSS 8.0.917 as a custom install, FAT 16 partition was created on HDD 1 at 1-5.

11:13 AM) Update/repair OS Selector to 9.0.357. BOOTWIZ folder was created on "C".

11:20 AM) Created new 20 GB primary partition on HDD 1 from DDS, shows in DDS as primary - not active.

11:45 AM) Began OSS to start new install of XP pro following directions given on page 97 in 8.2.3. All went as indicated on the page.

11:55 AM) Rebooting to install XP after first disconnecting an internal zip drive.

12:40 PM) Could not boot from floppy of course, rebooted and hit "any" key to boot from CD. XP installed to HDD 1 "C", had to unplug USB mouse & keyboard and use PS/2 devices. Have not reactivated OSS yet. Want to set tweaks right away, install a firewall, AV program then update.

3:45 PM) Programs and all updates have been installed. OSS has been activated and works. BOOTWIZ folder has been added to "C".

4:30 PM) It works, can boot either of 2 XP installs. I am going to do another install then activate the last 2. Should work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.