Frustrated newbie - unable to create full image backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fdm2000, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fdm2000

fdm2000 Registered Member

I recently downloaded and installed TI 11 8053 build and have been attempting to create a full backup of my internal drive C HDD to an external HDD without success. My operating system is WIN XP Home.
    My first attempt to create a backup to my Seagate external HDD resulted in what appeared to be a full .tib backup file on the external HDD but the file was not found within the Acronis Archive Selection tree on the Seagate HDD or anywhere else making restoration or deferential backups impossible. I noted that my PC locked up at the completion of the what was reported to be successful validation process.

My second attempt also failed - after a forum member suggested that I open Acronis 11 via the bootable rescue CD and create the backup in that fashion. The backup process this time did not run to completion and locked up the PC again after only imaging 460 MB of the 98+ GB on my drive C. This time the incomplete .tib file appears in the Archive Selection tree as well as on the external HDD.

I have religiously followed the user manual instructions for creating a full image backup, and am at a loss to understand what is causing the problems described above.

I upgraded to TI 11 from the current version of Diskwizard an abbreviated version of Acronis that came with my Seagate external HDD and was told by an Acronis tech not to uninstall DiskWizard as it might adversely affect the operation of TI 11. Now I wonder if DiskWizard and TI 11 could be conflicting with each other?
    or,
    Do I have a corrupted download of version 11? Should I delete the program and redownload and install TI 11 again to see if that is the problem?
    or,
    is TI 11 buggy?

Your thoughts and advice are needed - I definitely want to create a usable full image backup.
    Frank

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The Recvery CD uses the Linux environment. Check the sticky notice at the top of this forum with the name ..Before You Post for things to try to make the Recovery CD work properly.

If those fail, then you will need to build a BartPE boot disk unless Tech Support can send you a suitable boot CD iso image. If you can't boot from the CD and make an image, you won't be able to restore the boot partition in the event of a problem.
    Just to be certain, I would uninstall TI 11 and then uninstall the Seagate Disc Wizard. At that point, you can reinstall TI 11.

I think downloading a fresh copy of TI 11 and installing that is a good idea.
    Yes, but the basic backup and restore as you are attempting to do them usually works.

You should also run CHKDSK /R on all the drives to be sure that there are no drive errors. This will take quite a while, so don't start it when you need to use the computer.

3. fdm2000

Many thanks for the input and suggestions, John. I will be pursuing them.

I wonder why Acronis Support advised me not to uninstall DiskWizard ( I actually had to get an update for DiskWizard in order to install TI 11 under a special promotion arrangement between Acronis and Seagate)

Regarding the uninstallation of TI 11 - is this a straight forward undertaking or are there special detailed instructions necessary for a complete uninstall?
    Some applications require registry entry deletions, etc.

Frank

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you did an upgrade from diswizard to ATI, then if you uninstall DW before you install ATI it will ask for the serial num of the "prior version," of which you will have none. If DW is installed when you install ATI, ATI won't ask that question.

If you didn't do an upgrade from DW to ATI but bought ATI fresh, then you could try uninstall ATI, then DW, then reinstall ATI.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fdm2000,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please see my reply in this thread you created.

Regarding the requirement to keep DiskWizard: as shieber pointed, when installing an upgrade version of Acronis True Image it's necessary to either have earlier version installed, or provide a serial number of earlier version during the installation. Since DiskWizard doesn't have a serial number, it needs to be installed for upgrade to be possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. fdm2000

Finally created a full image backup with TI 11. Another forum member suggested I share the steps that resulted in the success:

Before starting TI11 I did the following:
    1. Ran CCCleaner. Adaware, chkdsk,defrag and an Optimizer.
    2.Shut down Windows PX firewall
    3.Disconnected from the internet
    4.Disconnected my other external HDD
    5.Shutdown my antivirus program and other open programs
    6. Disable all Start UP programs except Acronis

Not sure which one (or ones) of the above resolved my failure to create a full image backup, but will run this checklist in all future backups.

Frank

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You could start adding them back in one by one and see which one is in conflict with ATI. AT that point, it might be possible to change a setting in that prog to avoid the conflict. Then you won'thave to go through all those steps each time you want to make a backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.