From Trusty to Bionic - my Ultrabook story

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Winds of change. After five years, upgrade we must. This review tells the story of all about how I turned my life upside down, and went forth with an upgrade process from Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr to Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver on my dual-boot Asus Vivobook, including upgrade details, system and data integrity, niggles, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-trusty-bionic-upgrade.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Keep the next chapters coming.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Interesting. I remember being asked if I wanted to upgrade to 18.04 as well, but I thought I was seeing things lol. I'll give Xenial a bit more time before I upgrade. Personally I find Xenial more stable than Trusty. A third of the time I put the laptop into sleep mode in Trusty it would wake to a black screen. That hasn't happened in Xenial yet. I'm looking forward to your next instalment when you add Unity back!

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you like, you could partition your disk and install 18.04 side-by-side to kick its tires!

5. Daveski17

Sounds complicated for me lol. I'm pretty happy with Xenial.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I too dreaded partitioning but once I got over that bump, all was good. I now have Ubuntu 16.04 (pre-installed on my Dell laptop), Ubuntu 18.04, KDE Neon, and Kubuntu 18.04. The last is the one I use daily.

I also have other *buntu flavors and versions as virtual machines.

7. Daveski17

Yeah, but you know what you're doing. I'd probably accidentally wipe the laptop lol.

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I'm partitioning allergic too; rather use a virtual machine if I'm curious about some OS.
    As to using more than one OS, it makes no sense under my usage scenarios.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, I wasn't happy with the default Ubuntu 16.04 supplied with the laptop but didn't want to wipe it out with a new install and so I took the plunge after a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos :D

10. Daveski17

What didn't you like about 16.04? People seem divided about it as a whole. Some have told me it was probably the worst Ubuntu release ever, and some have said that they think it was the most stable they'd used up to that moment. I honestly can't fault it.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I used Ubuntu during 11.04 (my first taste of Linux) through 12.04 but left Ubuntu behind at 12.10 switching to Lubuntu's Openbox session. But then when I got my current laptop I decided to try Kubuntu because I read it's more customizable. I don't have anything against Ubuntu. I just like Kubuntu more.

12. Daveski17

Kubuntu looks nice. I'm not much of a distro hopper. If it runs well, isn't Windows and I know how to use it; I'm happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.