From Bootcamp back to Windows PC?

Discussion in 'Paragon Mac Utilities' started by technorama, Apr 16, 2015.

1. technorama

technorama Registered Member

I want to migrate from Windows 7 on a Mac in a Bootcamp partition back to a genuin Intel-Windows machine (a NUC) an get rid of the Mac alltogether. Is this possible using backup software? Or via transfer to a virtual machine and then back to a physical partition on the Windows machine?
    Or have I to go the hard way and install all my programs anew? (I had to do this several times over the years and for me this sucks.)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, you could use an offline partition manager (bootable media), remove the OS X partition, extend the Windows one, and rebuild the Windows bootloader. If the last step fails, try startup repair on your Windows install or rescue media.

*Oh wait, this is Bootcamp not a dual boot? Then I have no idea, sorry.

3. technorama

technorama Registered Member

Well, it basically worked as I hoped for (Thanks to a finally found tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html):
    I made a backup with Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 14 from the Bootcamp partition. On the NUC I made a dummy install of Windows to get the correct partition layout. Then I restored the backup from a bootable USB PHDMS 14 stick to the NUC (The downloaded ISO from 2010 from the website mentioned did not work, because Paragon has changed the file format in the meantime). I used Paragon's built in Adaptive Restore to implant the correct drivers for the NUC machine. To my astonishment it then booted. But with a lot of drivers still missing (Ethernet, Network, Audio, USB 3.0 and some more). I downloaded all the neccessary drivers from Intel, now only the network driver still is missing.
    And I have to reactivate Windows unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.