From Bootcamp back to Windows PC?

Discussion in 'Paragon Mac Utilities' started by technorama, Apr 16, 2015.

1. technorama

technorama Registered Member

I want to migrate from Windows 7 on a Mac in a Bootcamp partition back to a genuin Intel-Windows machine (a NUC) an get rid of the Mac alltogether. Is this possible using backup software? Or via transfer to a virtual machine and then back to a physical partition on the Windows machine?
    Or have I to go the hard way and install all my programs anew? (I had to do this several times over the years and for me this sucks.)

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, you could use an offline partition manager (bootable media), remove the OS X partition, extend the Windows one, and rebuild the Windows bootloader. If the last step fails, try startup repair on your Windows install or rescue media.

*Oh wait, this is Bootcamp not a dual boot? Then I have no idea, sorry.

3. technorama

technorama Registered Member

Well, it basically worked as I hoped for (Thanks to a finally found tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292068-make-windows-7-bootable-after-motherboard-swap.html):
    I made a backup with Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 14 from the Bootcamp partition. On the NUC I made a dummy install of Windows to get the correct partition layout. Then I restored the backup from a bootable USB PHDMS 14 stick to the NUC (The downloaded ISO from 2010 from the website mentioned did not work, because Paragon has changed the file format in the meantime). I used Paragon's built in Adaptive Restore to implant the correct drivers for the NUC machine. To my astonishment it then booted. But with a lot of drivers still missing (Ethernet, Network, Audio, USB 3.0 and some more). I downloaded all the neccessary drivers from Intel, now only the network driver still is missing.
    And I have to reactivate Windows unfortunately.