Fresh XP install: Which Security apps to install first?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by marcus_mac, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcus_mac

marcus_mac Registered Member

Hey Guys

After much deliberation and a free weekend Ive 'clean format'ted and reinstalled XP.

Now there's a great opportunity to lay the foundations for a stronger PC as a result but what do the Security gurus think I should install first? Im thinking System Integrity apps before the usual AV/AT/FW.

Im hoping this might start a Sticky for future reference, in doing things the right way - if only one knew how ;) .. What did you do in my situation?

Can you help?

Cheers!
    Marcus_Mac

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I usually install FW first, AV second, and other security programs last.

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I install security apps last (although I leave XPs firewall running until then and am behind a router). I install all my apps, games, and utilities, run windows update, tweak my system, defrag the drives and then create an image.

After all this I install my security apps. They tend to hook into the system more than other applications and since I like trying out different security software I can use my fresh image to rollback before the security apps were installed.

BTW - Everything I install has been scanned with at least two AVs and one AT.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

One thing you may want to consider is how the different programs and security apps need to load on reboot- which ones will fight to load first. I remember I had NOD32 and Link Scanner Pro fighting over which starts up first which caused some conflict problems and reboot delays. And the remedy (IIRC) was to uninstall both and reinstall them in proper order. So once you determine which programs to download see which need loaded first so there are no conflicts during reboot. It may not hurt to send a quick email to the customer service of the different programs you are considering to check on loading order on reboot. I remember the folks at XPLabs were very helpful.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Very good advice. I do almost same.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I just re-formatted a few weeks ago.

First I installed a FW,then AV,SpywareBlaster,alternative browsers,Ace Utilities,followed by on-demand scanners.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Not strictly security - imaging software?

Install computer.
    Install all the mobo drivers.

Create a raw image.

Install firewall - if you don't like Windows firewall.

Install Firefox.

Optional: Windows updates.
    Optional: other programs you might want or need, e.g. IrfanView, OpenOffice.

Create a second backup image, with system fully ready to go.

Finally, add extras that you want.

Mrk

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The first thing to go on should really be an install monitor (e.g. Total Uninstall) since most programs' own uninstallers don't remove everything and security software can be one of the biggest culprits (e.g. leaving behind drivers, file extension entries for scanners, DLLs in Windows folders, etc).

System firewalls (e.g. Process Guard, SSM) are certainly a good candidate for an early install, but you typically need to switch them to permissive settings to install other security applications.

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Total Uninstall is the way to start :D

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use a customized "WinXPproSP2 Install CD" (nLite) to install my computer, which contains most security patches, removed components, tweakings, settings, etc.
    I also download the recent version of each software. I also zero my harddisks.

Then I install my computer off-line as far as possible, except for one thing : activation of WinXPproSP2, which requires a short internet connection (stupid M$ !!!). I also configure all my softwares off-line.

I avoid any software that requires internet for installation, like Windows Defender, A-squared, ...
    Unfortunately more and more softwares require an internet connection for installation, so the number of stupid companies increases regularly. :rolleyes:

Before I go on-line I make malware-free images and archived snapshots, which will be used for restoration only.

Once I go on-line, I consider my computer as possible infected.

How do you think about being safe, once you go on-line ?
    For instance do you consider yourself safe, when you upgrade a software on-line, like Windows Update, Firefox, Thunderbird, ... without really surfing on the internet ?

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

With the proper measures in place, yes :)

12. marcus_mac

Wow almost too many replies to thank each of you in turn, its given me great food for thought - thank you!

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

One more for the list....
    SP2 updates cd available from MS.
    I burn the install files for security programs to cd.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just did a fresh install of windows 2003 today. Heres what i did.

Installed OS.
    Installed latest drivers.
    Installed latest windows updates.
    Tweaked system configuration.
    Installed backup software and made an image.
    Installed basic apps, browser, IM, media player etc...
    Installed security apps, av, hips etc...
    Cleaned up system, registry etc...
    Defragged drive.
    Made another image.

15. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Looks very good to me.

Can I ask you what image software, backup software you use?

I am just curious and have NO intention of making ANY comments about your choices. :)

Mike

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use acronis trueimage for my backups. Also if i consider it an important backup i'll do a secondary backup image using paragon hard disk manager. I've never had any problems with trueimage but i don't take any chances with my valuable data.

17. marcus_mac

Thanks The tester, farmerlee - good advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.