Fresh install of XP - Updating for 1'st time

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Oct 11, 2015.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

You used to be able to accomplish this by setting the "Automatic Update" setting to Download automatically but let me choose when to install them. It would then show you that icon in the lower right corner of the screen when it found/downloaded updates, and let you install them then. You only had to do that for the first round of updates... after that you could download them manually and turn the setting to never search for updates.

But now it doesn't seem to work. I set it to search for updates automatically, both to install later & the highest setting to download automatically & install at a given time, and neither seem to work. Nothing ever happens. I just tried it about 2 months ago and it worked just fine. So I wonder, has something changed since then?

Much obliged for any help...

2. Infected

Infected Registered Member

How you ran that fix update tool for xp?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@luciddream Are you getting an error message? If not, and it seems to be stuck on searching for updates, just let it run, as it may a few hours before the check for updates completes. Also, it's possibly it may install some updates silently while doing the inistall search for updates.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You could always try something like WSUS Offline Update in case nothing else works.

5. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Just use Rising PC Doctor v6.0.click on "leaks" and it`ll download all the fixes(updates)you need.

Regards Eck:)

6. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

When I use to update XP I set the "Automatic Update" setting (Notify me, but don't automatically download
    or install them) and would get the notification icon in system tray. Clicked on it and was able to download and
    install the updates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.