French Battles

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Jimbob1989, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I am currently studying both French and History at school. We was recently looking at the French control over Indo China and how the French lost the land to the Japanese. Some people believe the french Military is and has never been that amazing.

Just for reference purposes, have the French ever taken over land and been able to keep the land?

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

go to google. Type "French Military Victories" without quotes. Hit "I'm feeling lucky".
    Get outraged. Laugh.
    No. The French have always had to give back land.
    Examples?
    Napoleonic era... during and after. IndoChina (as you said). Indian holdings exchanged to the British for North American land. Sale of a rather large piece of land in North America to the newly formed USA. Canadian example. Alsace-lorrainne was theirs post-Treaty of Versailles (reason #1 for WW2).
    Try Alsace-Lorraine after WW2... don't know about that.
    It seems that consecutive french rulers, though brilliant and very successful, had a different vision of the world under France. First they sought to take over South Asia, then it was an empire in North America, then it was conquests in Africa... Too many voices clamoring for control, each ne captain steering the ship in opposite direction... ahh France....

3. Jimbob1989

I noticed you made no mention to the Battle of Agincourt. That once came up while playing darts with a french group.

Jimbob

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  4. no13

well... I'm an Electrical Engineering student, and French History is WAY out of my league. At least they said it was.
    BUT do try looking into the 100 years war... you remember the girl who turned the war around? Mila Jovovich played her role in that movie...? just teasing ya...
    Anyways... I don't remember much about the middle ages. In fact I have shifted to a different thing all together (Computer Trivia), but we can still talk. I'm not that out of touch yeah?

5. Jimbob1989

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. Jimbob1989

8. no13

Its a VERY amzing site. Surf at your own risk tho'. some "nutty" goings-on there.

9. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Brian Mung makes wickedly funny flash movies and games. Nothing about French battles though.

10. no13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.