Freezing During Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bharris, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bharris

bharris Registered Member

My laptop has a 30 GB Hitachi OEM hard drive. I recently purchased Acronis TI and wanted to use it to copy my entire existing hard drive onto a new Western Digital 120 GB internal hard drive. I made a full backup of the 30 GB hard drive onto an external 300 GB USB hard drive and then installed the 120 GB hard drive into the laptop. I booted from the Acronis bootable CD and then tried to restore the image from the USB hard drive onto the new 120 GB internal hard drive. I have tried this many times now and also tried pressing F11 and inputting the change "quiet acpi=off noapic". Each and every time, however, my computer freezes during the restore process. Sometimes the computer will freeze with 19 minutes remaining, other times with 58 minutes remaining, and still others with 1 hour 3 minutes remaining (it is different every time). No time, however, does it actually work. Please, please help, as this is the main reason I purchased this product. Thank you!!

I was unable to save the sysinfo.txt file to my USB flash drive. I am using build 3,567.

PS - I made the original image from within Windows, but am trying to restore the image using the bootable CD (because the new hard drive has no OS). Should this make a difference? Should I replace my old hard drive, make an image from the bootable CD and then try to restore the image using the bootable CD to the new internal hard drive?

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. bharris

This is a follow-up to my previous post concerning my effort to replace my 30 GB laptop hard drive with a new 120 GB internal hard drive. I have now tried using the latest build to create new backup images of my hard drive both under Windows and using the Boot CD. I placed these images on a 320 GB Western Digital USB hard drive and have tried numerous times, unsuccessfully, to restore these images onto a new 120 GB internal hard drive on my laptop. When using the Boot CD the image begins to restore but hangs and freezes every single time. I created a Bart CD and using Acronis from the Bart CD indicated that ALL of my backup images on the 320 GB USB hard drive were corrupt, and thus I couldn't even attempt to restore the images using the Bart CD. I don't believe the images are actually corrupt - I validated these images using Acronis on my desktop as well as Acronis re-loaded into Windows onto the new 120 GB hard drive (the new hard drive works). There is nothing wrong with the images. I tried restoring these images from Acronis in Windows using the new laptop hard drive and the restore process hangs and freezes again every time. I am not able to save the sysinfo file. Please help!! Thanks.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've merged your two threads to keep this all together.

4. bharris

I have finally solved this issue after many hours of reading through the threads on this board. I created a Bart CD using the Acronis TI plug-in found in the BartPE directory from a complete install of the latest build of TI. BEWARE - the standalone plug-in on the Acronis support site is NOT the one that works for the latest build of TI (3633). If Acronis had simply updated this plug-in every time they updated the build, it would have saved me a day's worth of work and headaches.

After my experience, and reading many of these posts, it appears that the greatest amount of trouble comes from the fact that Linux is not compatible with many people's (including mine) hardware for some reason. I am far from a techie, and think that Acronis would do everyone a favor by simply making the standard bootable CD it creates a Bart CD, rather than a Linux CD. I guess it would cost them a license fee, but my God, it would be so worth it to its customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.