Freeze after ReBoot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SalteDad, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalteDad

SalteDad Registered Member

I backed up the entire disk of a new eMachine using Windows XP to an external USB2 drive. The HD on that machine has 2 partitions: A large C (NTFS) and a small D (Fat 32) drive reserved for BU's. That seemed to go well enough. I checked the image using the "Validate" feature and it said it was ok. When I tried restoring that BU to a second HD I installed internally it showed both partitions as well as a "MBR and Track 0" line. I selected the whole hard disk (Disk 1) option which checked all the partitions. The restore location was the slave drive. I told it to delete the old partitions and it proceeded showing me it was locking some drive letter. When I started the actual process it needed to reboot, which I did but upon starting up it froze at the point that Acronis was trying to reload itself. I tried this a few times, always looking for something I might have done wrong. I even tried "restoring another partition or hard drive" option to see if the already choosen partitions for restore were checked off (as it said it would be in the dialog box) but they were not. During one of my tests I tried re-checking them. Nothing has helped. It always locks up after the reboot. I can do nothing but shut down and restart. At that point nothing has happened and I tried again. I even tried copying the BU file to the desktop and launching from there but still NG.
    Where do I go from here?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It appears the TI Linux recovery environment is not running properly on your machine. To confirm this, make the TI rescue CD and try to boot with it and see where it freezes (or if it works).

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I cannot explain why the method you chose did not work because you were presumably starting the restore while still in Windows. I only do restores after booting from the recovery CD which is what one would do if the main drive had gone south.

Even if the restore had completed it is quite possible that you would not have been able to boot from the secondary drive. In any case Windows could be confused by having two "C" drives connected at the same time.

My suggestion would be to take out the existing main drive and put it to one side. Put second hard drive in the main position wired up as a main drive. Now restore the external image having booted from the rescue CD. Take out the CD and when the process is complete you can re-boot into Windows. This would prove your backup process 100%

4. SalteDad

Thanks. Good idea. It hung up in the same place as before when I tried using the normal boot. It did load in "safe mode" boot but then I could not direct it to the image file, even the one on the desktop.

So, what would prevent it from running the normal Linux recovery? Where do I go from here?

5. SalteDad

I tried using that method because I thought I would have fewer problems going thru the internal bus. I did know that I'd have to remove one of the drives after the operation was completed.

Now, when I tried booting from the CD it hung up during a normal boot. When I tried the safe boot it would not recognize the external HD.

Guess I need to do more testing.

6. seekforever

This is from the sticky PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST at the beginning of the forum.

Watch the spelling in the command!

II. Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic

click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version". That should allow you to use Acronis True Image in some special cases.

7. SalteDad

OK everyone. That change in the command line got me in. By booting to the CD I did not need to reboot once the recovery process started so I guess the problem is solved. I did not get the reference to Linux at first because I was using Acronis in Windows. It loaded and worked fine until I tried testing the BU I made. So much to read and remember. Now I can go back and reread the manual, etc with a greater understanding. This forum is a wonderful resource and I'll have to read more of the posts here as well. Thanks to everyone for their contributions, even the others having problems. It brings up good issues and links for greater understanding. Some of us want to know more then just how to operate a program.

8. seekforever

Just to add a bit more to your knowledge, when running TI in Windows it cannot restore the system partition, usually C, from within Windows. This is why it has to reboot and the environment it starts up is the same Linux environment that is on the CD. If you were to try the restore in Windows it would still fail because there is no way to enter the command like you are able to with the boot CD. In any case, the boot CD version is available to you and is the one you really need if your HD dies.

Read the full section in the sticky post, Acronis may be able to provide you with a way to automate the process as they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.