Freeware firewall software

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by freakish, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freakish

freakish Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a freeware firewall program that also has a feature where it will alert a user if a certain application or file tries to connect to the Internet. The firewall should prompt the user and only allow an app or file to connect only if the user says yes to the prompt. The firewall should also have the option to remember the choice and always allow or block a program from connecting to the Internet.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Probably the best place to look for this answer is to move up the Wilders Forum list 6 places to "other firewalls". They have several discussions going on such topics. By the way I agree with your signature about Opera..:thumb: :cool:

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Sounds like you want ZoneAlarm (free):
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...sp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=staticcomp_za

5. James Mayo

James Mayo Registered Member

6. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

If having the latest thing is not an issue then consider Kerio 4.0.8 or 4.1.3. The free versions do what you want.

I've been using both since they were released without problems. Note, however, that some V4 releases do not like certain computers. Here again, newer isn't always better. V4.2 gave me problems.

7. freakish

From the freeware firewalls, it looks like Jettico is a good choice. I will be trying your suggestions, as well as some of the free ones in the tests site above.

8. freakish

I am trying Sunbelt Kerio 4.2.3 right now. Are the default ports blocked by Kerio already enough? I've tried the Symantec Firewall Test and it did not pass the Trojan Horse test (Note: You have to use IE to run the test). Ports are 1025 and 1028 (Unused Windows Services Block) are open.

Edit: I want to add that I have disabled the Windows Firewall. Is this ok?

9. mrisis

mrisis Registered Member

Yes that is fine, you do'nt want to run 2 firewalls.
    As a side note I see you made you're way here from the Opera community.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never disabled the Windows Firewall. I just installed ZoneAlarm Free and after that the Windows Firewall was disabled automatically.
    winXPproSP2 has artificial intelligence and intuition :rolleyes:

11. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

Guys

I would appreciate if you gave Comodo a go and let me know what you think. It passes more leak tests than any other out there, its good a nice GUI, its totally supported at many levels (email, forum, phone, pigeon etc), its much better than paid for versions and its Free! (and will always be free!).

Please give it a go and let me know what features you would like in it, and watch me get it all done for you :) (subject to sensible feature requests of course :) ). its an opportunity for you to create your own firewall almost! :)

thanks
    Melih
    Comodo

12. freakish

Ok, I'll try Comodo too.

I didn't know that choosing a firewall was this hard. :) Right now, Sunbelt Kerio is ok, but it eats a lot of memory resources. I've got to try other firewalls.

13. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

Thanks

Please give us your feedback and ways in which we can improve it for you.

thanks
    Melih

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.