Freeware alternatives to read access control by AppGuard

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Ulysses_, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

Instead of paying for AppGuard to prevent theft of private data by restricting read access to it, why not use freeware Truecrypt plus Shadow Defender (which I have a license for already and is highly recommended to everyone).

Malware can then read but not decrypt the data that you have in a truecrypt container.

To access the data, you reboot with shadow mode disabled, mount the data, modify, unmount, and reboot with Shadow Mode enabled.

How is this as an alternative to AppGuard? More secure? Any additional freeware strategies?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

That would work, but it might not be convenient.

I believe that Panda Cloud Antivirus has read access protection. Some HIPS like Comodo may have this ability also.

3. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

When you want to read the data protected by Panda or Comodo, don't you have to type a password that can be keylogged by zero-day malware or the malware can steal some data while you are reading it?

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

There is much more to AppGuard than the ability to restrict access to certain files/folders. That's quite a nice feature but not what you're paying for in my view.

I've used the paid version of Sandboxie that long I'm not overly familiar with what limitations are placed on the free version but couldn't you just use SBIE free and add File Access rules to prevent read/write or both to the folders you want to restrict?

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.