Freespire - Linspire "free" version

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dog, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

For those that have been interested in but uneasy about installing linux ... Linspire is going to release Freespire a free community version. I tried Linspire when they offer a free copy of 5.0 over the misunderstanding with the distrowatch.org listing a while back, an while I didn't like it personally; it is geared towards Windows users who are new to linux - so it's newbie friendly. The release date isn't known yet, but the project has been announced - If you're interested -> keep your eye on the Freespire page

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ubuntu is much better than Linspire, if I may recommend it, their support forums are great with very fast replies usually.

3. dog

dog Guest

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Any possibility not to use torrent?? A live download link to vmware appliance, or I'll have to build myself one from the scratch ...
    Mrk

5. dog

dog Guest

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on this, as it was only very recently i was asking about it and it's cousin !

As it's a Beta though, i think it would be better to wait until the final has been released and OK'd for a while, before i start dabbling.

I'll be trying to keep tabs on it's progress, as it could be just the right boost some have been waiting for.

StevieO

7. dog

dog Guest

Truthfully, Linspire/Freespire wouldn't be my first choice for a new user ... Ubuntu or Mepis .... and on the very outside Xandros would be better choices ... as well as the other large distro SuSE, Fedora, and Mandriva.

I'd suggest you'd try the VMware appliance first if you have your heart set on that for your first dip into Linux. It your concerned about public trackers/torrents you can use http://linuxtracker.org/ which is private - you need to maintain a 1:1 share ratio ;) ~of course~. I'm sure registrations are open, if they aren't send me a PM or Email and I'll send an invite code. ;)

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

First Impressions of Freespire 1.0
    Article with screenshots

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Hi all, does FREESPIRE work with HSP56 MR (SIS) modem?I ask this because I haven't found the way to connect a linux distro with this modem. There is only one driver that works with kernel 2.4 but not 2.6.

Thanks for the answer*puppy*

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.