Free WinRAR 3.51 is a Virus???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mimijo, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi,

Recently WinRAR offer its WinRAR 3.51 free on a particular sunday.
    But too bad i missed the good deal...

So i searched the net for info regarding this good deal....
    And in this forum's thread http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=28946&t=300259

its stated that for those that have missed the deal, still can direct download the WinRAR 3.51 from the official website www.rarlab.com. And as for the free licence key, we still can go to SimTel's website http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=97173 to download the key.

So i downloaded the official WinRAR 3.51 from the official website, after that i scanned the "wrar351.exe" at Jottis but to my susprise, VBA32 say that it a Trojano_O:eek:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2143/screen1eg6.th.jpg

So after the scan at Jottis, i scanned my computer with the free BitDefender 8 AV, and BitDefender reported that there is a virus in my computer although i didn't even install the WinRAR 3.51.:eek:

Is this a false positiveo_Oo_O

BTW, i have NOD32 installed too...but when i scanned with NOD32, it reported that my comp is clean.
    Only BitDefender free 8 reported that 2 files under my C:\I386 ......is infected with virus (sorry i forgot whats the name of the virus as i deleted the log and Quarantined items as im goin to reformat my comp soon....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, upload to virus total

and its only detected by one av so its probaly an fp since its detected just by vba32 which is known for false possitives.
    lodore

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I got the free winrar and have not had any problems or detected anything out of the ordinary with it.

4. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

So besides scanning with jotti of the file, I understand that you have scanned locally all your computer? If that's so it may be very possible that you really have a virus/mallware that your nod32 doesn't detects.

5. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi, yes i scanned at virus total too...and its the same result for VBA 32 :'(

Dont know whether i should install the WinRAR 3.51 anot...

6. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi,

So you have got the free WinRAR as well? Is it the same file name "wrar351.exe"? or? did u do a scan at jottis before installing? anyone have the same problem like me?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sinces its only vba32 reporting it as a virus that it seems its just a false possitve. i think f-secure used to report it as a virus but the false possitive was fixed, well it was another av anyway. so just forget about ti because winrar is a safe application that i use instead of winzip because it has better features and is lighter.
    lodore

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have been using WinRAR for a long time. I also used v.3.51 and had no issues w/ it at that time. About couple months ago, I read a article (could not remember where) indicating v. 351 had a vulnerability(security) issue, and urging users to upgrate to v. 3.61, which is what I am using now. I hope this info can assist you in solving the mystry. :-*

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

7-ZIP + IZARC?:blink: no?

10. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

I don't have any problema of virus with WinRAR 3.51 free, I have scanned with AntiVir, Avast, a2,Ewido,BitDefender, and never found a virus or troyan in WinRAR.

11. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

BTW, i have scanned it at both Jotti's and Virus Total both VBA32 say that its a virus, but other AVs did not. Instead i download the latest version of WinRAR, and VBA32 did not flag it as virus, only WinRAR 3.51 Free is.

Anyway, since only VBA32 say that its a virus while other AVs did not, it might be very well be a FP.

I took the risk and installed the free version of WinRAR 3.51 downloaded from http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar351.exe. After installed, i scanned with my NOD32, Free BitDefender 8, Ewido, A-squared Free....nothing was found. Think its just a FP....

Anyway, thanks...:D

12. wytbuccaneer

wytbuccaneer Registered Member

hi, may you provide me with the winrar 3.51exe full version with the key. i missed it

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the free offer is over now.

14. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I downloaded the key several times this evening and every time I try to open it, a message pops up saying that the file is corrupt or in a different format. it is an RAR file.

Am I doing something wrong?

dmullen31atCoxnet

15. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  16. DCM

DCM Registered Member

It looks like the offer must really be over because the file I downloaded from that site is version 3.62, not 3.51.

I was finally able to get what looks like the key after several attempts but it is not of much value without the proper version of the program.

One of the other postings mentioned 7-Zip so I downloaded it. This looks like a very good program that should do everything I need to do.

Thanks for the help.

17. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello,

If anyone is looking a good alternative to WinRAR and has missed out on the free version offer I recommend the freeware utility Izarc (latest version 3.6) for all your .RAR needs. ;)

Richie

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  18. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

7-Zip is also free and does RARs. I really like the ability to easily "sync" the files in my backups. That said Izarc looks quite feature rich. I'll add it to my bookmarks in case I ever find a job that i cannot do with 7-Zip.

19. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

7zip doesn't support rar packing, only unpacking. Because the rar packing encoding method is proprietary to A. Roshal.
    Anyway I'm using 7zip because it's free, fast and easy to use. Great tool, and also use it on my usb-stick in a portable version that also works very well.

20. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

IZarc looks really nice, but it doesn't create rar archives?
    For almost all your .RAR needs, then. ;)

21. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi dmullen31atCoxnet,

Yes, just follow wilbertnl's instruction getting the WinRAR 3.51 from official webby + the key from the simtel's site...its confirm works! I downloaded mine and save it to a back-up DVD already. BTW, remember to use IE to download from the simtel's site coz i have some problems downloading with FF, so i use IE to download instead...HTHs.

Regards,
    Joey >.<

22. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I followed the instructions and finally got it working. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.