Free webshield

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Joeythedude, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Any other free webshield's apart from the one included in Avast ?

Any open source web shield type app ?

2. progress

progress Guest

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

AVG Link Scanner is newly released as a standalone app. It is getting along nicely with my security mix.

4. IBadget

IBadget Registered Member

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Browser Defender

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you use Firefox there is an extension, I believe its name is LinkExtend or something like that, that includes something like eight of these products all rolled into one. Included in those are the big names, SiteAdvisor, MyWot, and a few others. It actually uses all eight simultaneously to check in advance for you when surfing. Even has a feature that will block you from going somewhere it suspects then gives you the option to go there anyway if you want.

I tried this product about a month ago and it works but it slowed down my surfing by a second or two for each site I went to; I guess it takes that long for all the "advisors" to report back to it then for it to report back to you. But if you don't mind the delay, this product did work. It also had a few other features but I don't remember what they were. This product being rather new has a tremendous potential, in my opinion, if they can somehow speed it up a bit.

Acadia

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I actually want to warn you to not use the SiteAdvisor.

I considered it more or less an 'OK' program at version 2.6, but at 2.8 I removed it.

I am not familiar with the latest version of the SiteAdvisor, but the last version I tried had a horrendous privacy policy/EULA (and excessive in volume), basically stating they could do whatever they want. Also, if you had McAfee software, you could previously install the SiteAdvisor separately and then it would show up as a separate entry in the software panel, but if you do that now it will automatically be integrated with the SecurityCenter. Too 'big brother' for me.

McAfee collects and shares all sorts of information with Doubleclick and others, it is not mentioned in the most recent privacy statement/EULA I've read, but since they did it in the past (also mentioned in privacy/EULA or similar) I won't believe they've stopped now. Why would they ?

I'm not familiar with the FireFox extension mentioned in the previous post, but to my knowledge the regular SiteAdvisor does not block, for that you need the not so free SiteAdvisor Plus. If that FF extension offers the SiteAdvisor Plus for free it would seem fishy to me.

Of course, I haven't used it in many months, so I'm not up to date with the latest version/events.

9. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Thanks for the comments.

I had a look at the link extend , was a bit annoyed that it added another search option to my right-click menu , which is not clear at all in the website , and it can't be removed ( via options etc ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.