free version

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by chrcol, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

is the free version effective, or is it a case the full version is needed, I am hesitant because I cant trial the full product and have only ran the free version.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The free version lacks the Global Protection options (see DiamondCS' comparison chart) so while it can prevent many attacks (especially leaktests in conjunction with a firewall), it can't handle more sophisticated ones (using a driver or physical memory access) or fully protect itself like the full version can.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  3. sry_noname

sry_noname Registered Member

what does the full version have the free doesn't (in the case of protecting itself). as long as you allow no malicious processes none can stop PCG...
    same about drivers, the process first has to be created to install a service...

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you know in advance whether any program contains malware or not, then yes, you could rely on Execution Protection exclusively (as long as you have "programs that run programs" like RunDLL32 set up as "Permit Once"). In reality however, the whole point of malware like trojans is that you download and run them expecting them to be something useful. As such, the ability to limit what running programs can do subsequently is very useful.

5. sry_noname

sry_noname Registered Member

hmm you're right, however drivers etc. aren't needed to do malicious things...
    maybe starting a new process like cmd.exe as backdoor/piping commands to it (well, would be also possible to do it with the trojan/program itself...).
    so if you don't know the program, you'd always better test is using e.g. vmware and always have an up2date av like kaspersky. well, think you could discuss long about that ;)

my system currently runs nlited (+one option at windows=no open ports after install!), with all updates, as restricted user, with pcg and kaspersky, programs are from trusted sources and already longer in use so i (should) know what they do, however those apps are free and there are many forums talking about them, so you should here about it, if there was anything wrong...
    for new stuff there's still vmware, awesome soft :)

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    The free version is good enough for ordinary home users, it protects from unexpected possible termination and modifications. If protection mode is enabled, nothing can be installed without your permission, unless you allow it. This alone is worthy enough to prevent most malwares and spywares to "install" anything in the system.

The free version if used together with other protection softwares I think is very effective in protecting our system. ;)

The paid version protects you more, and remember that ProcessGuard is one of the top HIPS protection software program that you can rely on installed in your pc. I guess it's the "grand daddy" in the HIPS programs category. Others maybe looks more colorful, but still, this is one of the best. :cool:

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

sweater, would you or anyone else who reads this say that you believe ProcessGuard Free to also be an effective HIPS program?

8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

PG free will ask you if any unknown application or any you wont normally want to will start.
    Also to prevent the applications to be modified without your permission.
    And protects against 3rd party termination of them, only those programs that you have allowed to do so.
    If you need more HIPS, then maybe a payed one or some other program.

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Jarmo p, has PG free been running all right on your PC?

10. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Yes Duke, no problems at all. If there were, I would have been complaining.
    As you can see from my signature, there is only kerio 2, avast and SnoopFree as running security apps besides Processguard. Not so likely they would conflict each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.