FREE Today - Paragon Total Defrag 2010 Special Edition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by whitedragon551, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

GAOTD is giving away Paragon Total Defrag for free. 21 hours left as of this post. Only issue is that 64-bit isnt supported in this download.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/paragon-total-defrag-2010-special-edition-english-version/

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it sounds pretty impressive, im gunna give it a try, is this "special" editio the same as the one on their site?

3. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I think the only difference is that 64 bit is not supported.
    Big download though for a defragging program.

4. firzen771

ye it is, but it culd be cuz its a .msi file from their site, has anyone used this and seen if its actually any good, comparable to Auslogics?

5. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

It is not a coinsidence when diskeeper releases the new version, i start to barely remember diskeeper from now :D

6. whitedragon551

I dont think Im going to try it. Im pretty content with Puran. Im not a huge fan of Paragons software. This defragger is a huge install which is totally unnecessary.

7. firzen771

for what ive read it seems to be able to do a boottime defrag? wuld that kinda be like Avast's boot time scan? if it is that sounds like it wuld be pretty good.

8. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It can only do a defrag of the system partition at boot time. I have found it to be good but very very slow.

9. firzen771

how wuld u compare paragons total defrag's speed up methods like moving around files to optimized areas of the disk to Auslogics defrag?

which provides better performance optimization (if uve tried both) in ur opinion. since Total Defrag is a pretty large program and unless thers really an imporvement, even if it is free, id rather have the small simple Auslogic if thers no extra benefit.

thanks.

10. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

If it is free, I will give it a go!!

Love freeware and if I like it a lot, I will buy it or contribute to it: plain and simple.

11. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Total Defrag 2009 installer was about 18MB. Total Defrag 2010 weighs in at 90MB.
    The GUI looks pretty much the same. Would be interesting to know why the size increased by 450% o_O

Al

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

90MB for a defragger :eek: I like Paragon utils but they sure make 'em huge.Auslogics DiskDefrag is 2.11MB by comparison !

13. firzen771

agreed, but what id like to know is how it compares in performance optimization compared to auslogics? any tried out both and have an opinion?

14. whitedragon551

For the size of the installer it better be the best darn defrag engine available. It may also be an .msi installer and contain the x86 and the x64 installers in the same package. Regardless that would leave about 45Mbs per installer which is still insane for a simple tool like a defragger.

15. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Looking inside the installer, there is a bootcd.iso which is 47.5 MB and there is also a \program\resource directory that is 26.3MB. I was told that the 2009 version did not have the .iso. Installer is 32-bit only

Al

16. Raza0007

Sorry, I have never used Auslogic defrag. I have used Perfectdisk 10 and compared to Prefectdisk, total defrag crawls.

Keep in mind that I am comparing total defrag 2009 full version with perfectdisk 10 pro version. The total defrag 2010 and 2009 versions are almost same. I do not know what options they have disabled in the free version of total defrag.

The benefit of total defrag is that since it does the defrag at boot time, so it can do both locked system files as well as other files at the same time. Perfectdisk can only do non-system files online and does the system files at boot time. With this approach, I have noticed that even though perfect disk does defrag system files, it does not move or change their primary location. Total defrag always puts my system files at the start of the disk, which has the fastest access time. This approach really causes my system to run at top speed.

Since everybody has different preferences, the only way to really be sure is if you try both software and see which suits your more.

17. Raza0007

Total Defrag 2009 was and a compressed .exe file so it was 18 MB. Paragon for some reason have started releasing their products in .msi uncompressed extensions. They call them silent installs. I really do not know the performance benefits of .msi files as compared to .exe, some software engineer probably can explain better. The drawback is that .msi files are huge.

Also, since total defrag does defragmentation at boot time, so it needs to have drivers inside the boot .iso file. This causes the .iso to be huge as well.

So, this is the reason for the huge size of total defrag and especially for the 2010 version.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  18. firzen771

i think .msi has something to do with being able to deploy it on a network of PC's.

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Excellent offer. There's also a portable version of the Paragon Total Defrag 2010 Special Edition, which you can run from BartPE/XPE CD/USB for example, or you can just use the built-in boot CD.

Pro:
    1. Only defragger I know that can defrag everything, including meta-files, when run off BartPE/XPE/WinPE type CD... And defrags down to 0.00% fragmentation!!
    2. Analyze, Defrag MFT, Compact/Truncate MFT operations are quick. And Truncate MFT is unique to Paragon as far as I know.
    3. Can be run exclusive off built-in boot CD.

Cons:
    1. General defrag is very slow.
    2. Re-arranges files (moves to outer edge of drive) even if no sort option specified.
    3. File sorting and other options are very limited. (sort by size or time modified only - and 'leave as is' still moves them).
    4. Messed up my auxiliary boot loaders: WinXP Recovery Console and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager had to be reactivated after Paragon defrag.

Improvements (v2010 vs. v2009):
    1. Built-in recovery CD builder.
    2. Full defrag now works on my HP Compaq laptop too (previous version only worked on various other computers I ran it on).
    3. 'Analyze partition' does not generally require a reboot anymore.

Bottom line:
    I will only use Paragon's defrag/compact/truncate MFT features, which I plan to run in addition to my main defragger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.