Free Software to burn MP3 to CD?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by besafe, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

On my older computer where I store all my music, I have the free version of Sonic record now as well as Windows media player. These programs enable me to burn my MP3 files to CDs that will play in the car or home stereo. However, the home recordings I make will not play on the CD player at my yoga studio. I lead a meditation group and would like to be able to play my meditation MP3's at the yoga studio.

I don't know why the CD player at the yoga studio would be different than my car or home CD player, but it is. I am thinking that I might need a program to convert the MP3 files to CDA or some other format.

Any suggestions?

PS...My newer compuier has Roxio Creator basic V9.

2. ASM

ASM Registered Member

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Most old CD players can not play mp3 files. They can only play normal audio cds. Mp3 files are compressed files and the player needs to be able to decompress them in order to play them.

If this is the case then you are better advised to get the original wav files on a CD, when you convert back from a mp3 to a wav you lose audio quality. If there is no choice then you may convert your mp3 to wav. Also, CDA is not a audio format. You need to convert your mp3 files to wav files and then burn them on a CD as an "audio CD". Keep in mind that mp3 are measured by size, so on 1 CD you can have 700 MB worth of mp3 files but wav files are measured by time, so on a CD you can have only 80 minutes of wav files.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you can use MediaCoder. It is free, quite powerful and is continuously being developed. It will suffice for all you audio/video transcoding/ripping needs

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Burn aware free. Very very light . It can create mp3 disc.:thumb:

6. moserw

moserw Registered Member

Lots of good ones, but the easiest to use is by far Ashampoo Burning Studio. Its free, just Google it.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Ashampoo Burning Studio produces mediocre audio CD sound quality.
    Nero Burning ROM makes better audio CD:cool:

8. besafe

besafe Registered Member

OK...so do I need to tell my burner to simply create an audio CD or do I need to first convert the MP3 to wav format then burn to CD as another forum member suggested?

Because when I use "Sonic Record Now" or "Windows Media Player" to "create an audio CD", those CD's still do not play on the old CD player at the yoga studio. Would Ashampoo give a different result?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

WMP will make the audio CD just fine. If what you say above is true, then I think you might want to question whether there's a problem with your CD player at the studio.

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It has been a while since I burned an Audio CD but I remember the software will automatically convert your mp3 into wav when burning an audio CD, at least Nero did.

Also, you are not using a CD-RW by any chance, are you? Most old CD players can not read from CD-RWs. Use CD-R or CD+R.

You also need to "finalize" your audio CD for old CD players to be able to play them.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imgburn works great. and imo nero is no better than anything else.

12. Wan

Wan Guest

13. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Burnaware works gr8:D

Attached Files:

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

15. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

OR you can get a new CD player for the yoga studio. This way you could burn CDs that are longer than 80 min and will play on most if not all new CD/DVD players.

If you burn your mp3 files as audio you will be limited to 80 min, I don't use wav files but what was said above about them applies to mp3s as well. It all depends on how you are burning the files. In fact, I noticed recently that Ashampoo supports burning both types of files as data so that they can be played on supporting drives and not (I assume) be limited to 80 min.

Be aware however, if you want your tracks to play in a particular order I believe you will have to burn them either as standard audio disks or you will have to change the file names so that they are arranged in the sequence you want. I add numbers at the beginning of the file name to accomplish this (start at 10 by the way).

16. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

NO, its not the burner or the format. The CDs play fine in the car etc after-all. Its the player. If you want to burn CDs that will play on the player in the studio you will have to burn them in audio format (see the first option in the attached). Otherwise, if you have a player that supports the format you are using (option 2 or 3 on attached) you will be fine doing what you have been doing. Likely there is nothing wrong with the studio player, its just not capable of playing what your putting into it.

EDIT: I should have said ---- if you are able to play store bought CDs at the studio then its not likely that your player is faulty. If you can't play anything then.........

Ashampoo might give a different result,,,,,how old is your Sonic? Perhaps its faulty. But again, if the CDs play elsewhere then its not likely a fault with the burning software or the format.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      351.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.