Free Small Business protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Archs, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archs

Archs Registered Member

I fix computers at a small business with about 20 PC's. The PCs they run are fairly old, at least 5 years. They don't run any type of security software at all and they have no security sense when using a computer. They click on random links in emails and get viruses all the time.

The only type of protection they have is a website blocker that blocks any type of inappropriate sites. They are all running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit w/ SP1. I was wondering what the best free software to install to prevent them from getting infected so frequently. After getting it completely setup. I would then image it to a DVD and reimage each computer. Thanks.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I would use a DNS service like Norton DNS. Alot of AV's have clauses where they are free for personal use, but for commercial use you have to pay for the same thing.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Comodo DNS

-Comodo Internet Security

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Unfortunately you cannot use MSE on more than 10 PCs, any more legally than you can use one of the better Free 'Home User' Antivirus solutions on 1 PC.

6. er34

er34 Guest

If Windows and other programs are legitimate, I don't think that it would be such a big problem if they run MSE (despite the license agreement saying that it is for up to 10 machines). There are so many businesses worldwide who run free AVs (with no problem). I don't think COMODO is appropriate for people who "have no security sense when using a computer". COMODO is generally speaking for more advanced users who may run fine even without it.

If you really want to be OK with the license agreement, search for cheap antivirus programs for business users.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

You need to pay in order to use NortonDNS for business. AFAIK.

8. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

You can install comodo, set sandbox level to blocked, suspress av alerts and auto quarantine, set firewall to safe mode, supress firewall alerts and autoblock, same for defense+ and password protect settings.

Get firefox or chrome with adblock and set dns to norton or similar.

9. pintas

pintas Registered Member

+1

Very good suggestion. ;)

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Split the business into 2 and it now becomes legal :p

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Is it allowed to use FF or GC on Business PCs?
    Only Home users are allowed to do that...

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Where did you get this?
    o_O

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Wait, what?

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The Corporate/Business Clients in your countries
    are Allowed to use FF and GC?

15. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

In a word, Yes.

In a number of Words (in this case from Google),
    "21.2 Subject to the Terms, and in addition to the license grant in Section 9, Google grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to reproduce, distribute, install, and use Google Chrome solely on machines intended for use by your employees, officers, representatives, and agents in connection with your business entity, and provided that their use of Google Chrome will be subject to the Terms.
    "

16. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Just lock down these computers with limited user accounts and a software restriction policy. With this alone you probably have 99% of the malware out there covered. All for free with almost no resource usage, no BSODs, etc.

Of course you'll get complaints when Plain Jane from accounting can't install that cute screensaver bundled with a rootkit but that's less of a headache than cleaning up malware every day.

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

All the Corp. clients I am aware of...
    have used nothing but Internet Explorer...

18. er34

er34 Guest

But the reason is not that they are forbidden by EULAs to use other browser. IE is easy to manage, already installed on the PC, its popular and users/staff are aware how to use, it is kind of industry standart of many web developers and works with businesses' systems. However, people can install whatever browser they want. Both Chromium and Firefox - they are even open sourced.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The reason is Legislation.
    In some countries, Corporate/Business Clients are still
    Not allowed to use 3rd-party Browsers.

20. er34

er34 Guest

In which countries businesses are not allowed to use 3rd party browsers? Give an example - list some, please. I never knew Microsoft is so powerful to make authorities forbid the usage of 3rd party browsers in some countries

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's the first time I hear such thing as well.

If nothing else, maybe some software vendors forbid the use in certain countries, where other vendors are also forbidden to sell, due to embargoes. We have seen it happening with security software, so I suppose the same happens with browsers, etc.

But, this wouldn't be a country's legislation, but rather stupidity comming from certain other countries. :blink:

I don't know whether or not it's true, but I recall reading something about Google forbiding the use of Google Chrome in Syria in 2008. You may find more if you search for the terms google chrome syria in a search engine.

But, Firefox itself being open source, I don't think anyone could block access to it? o_O :doubt:

22. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

It's easy to manage IE by using group policy, that's why in some places it is not allowed to use another browser.

IE.PNG

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What do you mean by places? o_O Countries? Or companies?

If that's real, then I can only think of stupid people. o_O Forbidding other web browsers simply because it's "easier" to manage IE through group policies it's simply crazy. :eek:

I would understand this practice within an enterprise, but never as a country's law. But, to be honest, Google has a version of Chrome meant for enterprises, which AFAIK installs group policies as well for easier management. So, forbidding other browsers such as this one, because IE has group policies is stupid, IMHO.

24. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

PandaCloudFree.. Easy to install, light, fast, and pretty darn effective.

25. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

By "places" I meant companies. In big companies, they don't allow you to install anything or use another browser, in small businesses with few employees there is usually no such restriction.

This article describes how to manage PCs in a small business without restricting them too much: -http://www.pcworld.com/article/257424/how_to_keep_your_employees_happy_with_their_company_pcs_without_losing_control_of_your_it_.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.