Free services to maintain anonymity on the web?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Hungry Man, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm looking for ways to stay anonymous. I would really appreciate the help. Here are some things to take into account:

1) I use Chrome. I'm sure some of you will insist that they steal data or something. They don't.

2) I run Windows 7 64bit. I use Comodo Pro (1 year free) so I don't know if that'll interfere with anything.

3) I connect to the internet via a router running DDWRT with a firewall.

4) I'd like something with as little a performance hit as possible.

2. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

3. Hungry Man

What exactly does TOR do? I've heard of it before. Is it going to keep me anonymous? Will it mess with my internet speeds?

edit: It seems to be slowing down my internet quite a bit. Is this normal? Alternatives?

edit2: It also doesn't let my hostfile do it's job >_> I'm gonna say by to TOR.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. jimmy011211

jimmy011211 Registered Member

I've been using Tor for a couple months, and I've read most of the info on their website. Tor is a "routing system" for lack of a better term, run by volunteers, that keeps your activity on the Internet anonymous, via routing your activities through different nodes before it reaches its destination. All of your traffic through Tor is encrypted, except for when it exits the Tor system. The person running the node through which your traffic exits can see what is being transmitted, but doesn't know where it came from. From what I've read, if you connect to an HTTPS destination, your info. should remain anonymous.

Tor is slower than just connecting directly to the internet through your ISP because of the "hops" your traffic takes before it gets to its destination. From what I've read, there's really no way around the slow connection issue.

The only recommended way to use Tor is via the Tor bundles (I use Tor for Firefox), with the Torbutton toggled "on". The bundles come with a portable version of the browser, set up to optimize your anonymity. By default, the Torbutton won't let you use applications like Flash because they may leak your IP address, so you have to adjust your activities and surfing habits accordingly. Using Tor with any other browser other than the one it's bundled with is not a good idea unless it's properly configured.

5. Hungry Man

Yeah TOR is basically not possible for me. The connection was slow to the point that it was essentially unusable.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

You should check out xerobank.com services. They cost, but will give you the best technology for remaining anonymous available.

-- Tom

7. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

XB will also be offering a fast but limited free service soon as well. :)

8. Hungry Man

I think when they offer a free service I'll check it out.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

10. Hungry Man

Firefox only it seems.

11. truthpatrol

truthpatrol Registered Member

Re: Free xerobank services to maintain anonymity on the web?

Xerobank used to offer their browser for free, and it would connect to TOR. Then with the "revamping" of their web site, it all seems to have disappeared. Thus, it's not a new feature or opportunity. It's an old one that for some reason collapsed and is now promised to be resurrected.

Unfortunately, Xerobank has a history of promising the moon and then delivering only a fraction of it.... late!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.