free, safe music downloads?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smokie420, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Try this:

(Deleted URL)

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

If you go to the Codecs address I mentioned earlier and scroll down
    you will see 'Windows Media Player Codecs ' for WMP 10. It's a freeware
    program.

Regards.

3. smokie420

smokie420 Registered Member

i was trying to download a movie from limewire and 'preview' it in wmp and this error came up (its long).........

C00D1199: Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
    • The file type is not supported by the Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see Supported file types.
    • The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
    • The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. For example, you might have tried to drag a DVD file with a .vob extension from a DVD to the Windows Media Player icon. Or you might have tried to open a .vob file by clicking Open on the File menu.
    • You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.
    Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Web Help

© 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

thanks, smokie

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Smokie: Just download, install, and you're done! I've never bothered going through the custom settings or anything, just installed everything default. Your WMP should then just play the music files.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

6. Weber

Weber Registered Member

I would try Soulseek for music. I don't remember the site's address but it is listed on Zeropaid.

7. smokie420

ok, ok, ok... I got it:D I wont know if it works however until I try to play something ...but i'll let ya'll know how it goes...thanks a million,
    smokie

8. smokie420

sorry but i didn't find it :( instead i got the one from'notok' thanks
    regards,
    smokie

9. smokie420

10. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

Warez installs what some may consider spyware on your pc, new.net or something like that...

I for one prefer Limewire, hasn't failed me yet and the cleanest program out their imo.

11. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

12. SonyaM32

My daughter uses Warez. Can you tell me if I should just uninstall it? LOL I don't know much about this stuff. :D Stupid question, Will the spyware uninstall too if I uninstall Warez? Or will I just have to run all these programs to get rid of the spyware? And yes I find new.net all the time. New.net is in my add/remove programs.
    Also, does anyone know if Morpheous also installs spyware, etc: ?
    I think I am just going to stick with Limewire.

13. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

From what I've read, the thing that Warez installs is durring installation, and I guess you can opt out of it. Download.com tells me that it's not really mallicious, but takes up space on your comp. I have no idea what it does, maybe someone else knows, but if it doesn't have to be there, I'd rather it not. I guess if you can remove it, you might as well.

Does Morpheus cost money to use now? Last I checked I thought they charged for it....I don't know if they have spyware with it either....

14. SonyaM32

So I guess the new.net that's in my control panel/add/remove programs probably doesn't have to be there. So I will remove it.
    About the morpheous, we still have it, but havn't used it for months. So I will check it out now to see if it charges money now.
    Thanks

15. SonyaM32

Ok, we just downloaded a song using Morpheous. It worked, and didn't charge me any money. Maby it's because it's been on my computer forever. Also it askes if I want to upgrade, and I click no, because that might be the charge one, LOL but as I said before, I don't know how everything with the downloading music works. :D

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  16. HTTP site

HTTP site Guest

http://mp3megamart.com/

The 'Post A New Message' link at the top of the page is for sharing only.

Be sure to search the archives before making a request.

Place all requests beneath existing topics.

17. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

18. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

How to find installed Codecs.

Run the System Information utility ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Msinfo\Msinfo32.exe").

Click on Components

Click on Multimedia

There you will see audio and video codecs.

I knew I saw this somewhere. I just thought that I would share it.

19. smokie420

How unfortunate! I was trying to dl 'gone in 60 secs' and preview in wmp (after its been downloading for 2 hrs +) and it said codec error again! now what can I do? Should I just get another player?
    My bro in law put winamp on here but that wouldnt play the file I was trying to view at all!! So I took that off!! (if it dont work for me its history)
    Thanks,
    SMokie

20. smokie420

Re: How to find installed Codecs.

I looked under the video codec and I seen the divx (which is what the movie is i think) so now what?
    thanks,
    SMokie

21. smokie420

I'm just curious to know why the URL was deleted?
    Smokie

22. smokie420

Re: How to find installed Codecs.

I forgot to say that I opened Gspot codec appliance...went to the path of the file that wouldn't play and gspot said something about a corrupted header...
    smokie

23. SonyaM32

Does anyone know what site does movie downloads free? Like the above music is done? I have heard of it alot, but don't know which sites do that.
    And can movies be put on a regular CD? Like the ones music is burned to.

24. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Sonya....Morpheus is actually one of the worst about including adware/spyware, etc. with it. I liked what it had to offer (as far as connecting to EVERY P2P client's database to locate what your looking for), but it had one of the worst reviews for bundling spyware from several different sites I looked at. The "pay" version is supposed to be free of spyware, but why pay when a free client like Limewire can offer a huge selection, and doesn't include or bundle any spyware.

Here is a review I just came across, which tested various P2P clients, and their results:

Peer to Peer File Sharing Review

25. stryder83

stryder83 Registered Member

I Have used all of the above p2p programs - and sorry, but they ALL are horrid. I almost gave up on p2p until I came across Ares. This program is far superior in speed, and I haven't been hit by any spyware/malware yet.

I would highly recommend this to all.

Regards,
    Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.