free, safe music downloads?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smokie420, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokie420

smokie420 Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can get free,safe music downloads? I've heard of Kazaa but unsure.
    Thanks,
    SMokie

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I have read that Limewire is the safest. But I do not download music, so I cannot say for sure. Whatever you do, do not use Kazaa. Your system will hate you for it, and let you know it.

3. smokie420

Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Anyone else have an idea? :D *puppy* :p
    Thanks All,
    Smokie :)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This is one of a few legal sites. It's a small record label, so probably not going to have anything you're specifically looking for, but they do have some good stuff there. For p2p I use eMule, it's open source (so NO adware/spyware, and never will), has a couple nice security options (like running with reduced security privileges), and is currently the most popular network. If you're going to do p2p, though, you gotta be careful.. use HardenIt (in my sig, default "recommended" settings are fine) and a good firewall- Look n Stop with Phant0m's ruleset is the best for handling p2p apps that I've found, no system slowdown at all.

5. smokie420

I have tried Limwire for 48 hrs and they SUCK!!!!!!!!!! half of the music I download, doesn't work for wmp. So I deleted it. Thanks though!
    Any more suggestions anyone?
    Thank You all and thank you hauled :)
    Smokie

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Well for "legal" and safe you could try the Russian site Allofmp3.com - I say "legal" since, while it is licenced under Russian law (with ROMS, the Russian Organisation of Multimedia and Digital Systems), purchases may or may not be considered personal imports and therefore may or may not ultimately be considered legal in your juristiction. However, while not free, it is cheap, it offers a range of formats and bitrates and is DRM-free (see Is allofmp3.com working for you guys? for some feedback about it and the Slashdot thread The Perfect Online Music Store?)

7. smokie420

What about a good one that maybe I have to pay for? I'd be willing to pay for it if it offered excellent services!! Thanks Smokie

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The new napster is supposed to be good
    here

9. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

10. smokie420

11. Close_Hauled

Does anyone have an answer? I should ask my daughter. She's the pirate in the family.

12. smokie420

Well so far I've tried "limewire", and I didn't like it bc wmp didn't always play the songs that I downloaded from Limewire.
    I've tried bearshare, (that I think added spyware) and I took that off as well.
    I tried to use napster but removed it bc i couldn't figure out how to 'sign up' . lol. I was going to try kazaa just to see, but since trying all the others , seems like my puter is much slower!!
    Smokie

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U downlaod Kazaa and your computer will be a lot slower than it is now. ;)

snowbound

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The only (clean) one you tried was limewire. Bearshare will without doubt install malware, and Kazza is the king of unwanted malware being installed.

15. Close_Hauled

What about MusicMatch, or WinAmp? Did you try those? It could be that you need a missing codec with Windows Media Player. Also, which version of WMP are you using?

16. smokie420

I installed the lastest a wk or so ago wmp 10 i think its called.....the codec thingie ...i dont know much about. When i tried playing music in wmp it would almost always say 'could not identify code' or something like that! I liked limewire bc I got familar with it quite quickly, but i thought something may have been wrong with it concidering the error 'code'. I could download lime wire again if someone helped me do whatever needs helping lol...i really appreciate your time and effor everyone!!! p.s. sorry for any typos blame it on the cat thats sittin in my lap, lol :p
    smokie

17. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

smokie,

I am surprised that nobody mentioned

www.Shareaza.com

It's the only one I have ever used.

HTH,

Regards.

18. smokie420

Thanks! I'll read more about it! I think that maybe I should get this 'codec' thing resolved before I continue any furthur with this.
    Thanks,
    Smokie

19. Close_Hauled

I would need a copy of the MP3 file. Then I would be able to determine the codec. If it's an FTP or HTTP download, then you can post the address, and I can get it.

I had a similar problem once. My MusicMatch files would not play on WMP. It was a codec issue and downloading the correct one worked. I was forced to use WMP because it was a work computer.

20. smokie420

Firstly, I don't know hot to go about getting the information your requesting, I don't know if its FTP or HTTP ( i don't know about that kind of stuff) But I can tell you it has that ''codec'' error for alot of different mp3 songs (only kind i dl usually) I'll try my best to get the codes for you if possible. thanks,
    smokie

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I should have mentioned that Shareaza has a built in Player so I don't
    have to fiddle about with WMP.

Re. the Codecs,

http://lists.gpick.com/pages/CoDecs.htm

Regards.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  22. Close_Hauled

Don't worry. HTTP and FTP are two different transfer protocols. You are using HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) right now (http://). If you were using FTP (File Transport Protocol), then the URL would start with ftp:// instead.

Detailed explanations:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

24. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

My daughter uses 3 different ones, she uses mostly Warez. she also uses Limewire <--(she just got, and loves it), and Morpheous. It's all free. I don't know about any spyware or whatever with these. If anyone knows, please let me know. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  25. smokie420

I wouldn't know where to start and what to click on, I'd need a little more help if sld codec pack is what i need.
    Also I want to ask if maybe its something in my wmp settings? I haven't messed with any of the settings as far as I know everything is on default. Thanks All,
    Smokie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.