Free Real-Time Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jack Bauer, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Registered Member

I'm looking for a free anti-spyware program with real-time shields. What are the best ones available as of right now?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Spyware Terminator.

3. Jack Bauer

I kinda figured I would get that answer but would you say that it's just as good as spy sweepers or spyware doctor's real-time protection?

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think Spyware Terminator's realtime shield is very good, especially for a free program. It probably does not rise to the level of SS but I don't know of many that do. But with ST I am speaking in terms of browser hijacks, etc.

If you are interested in a realtime shield there is/was a 4 month free "trial" license of A-squared here-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=22

A2 is supposed to have an elite realtime guard. I did not get to trial it as the program conflicted with my Ad Muncher program.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

As far as I know the only free real-time Anti-spywares/malwares are..

Windows Defender (if your a safe surfer it's fine, just have other on-demand scanners as a backup)
    Spyware Terminator(never tried it, I'm still a little leary. It was once on the rogue list. I spook easy though. :shifty: )
    Comodo BOClean (the newer version will be out soon, I would wait for it)

I used Defender for a while and I was fine. I have many on-demand scanners that I check with. If you don't already have spyware blaster, get it. It's not a real-time scanner, but it blocks certain malwares in the background. Especially if you use Internet Explorer. For Firefox, it only blocks bad cookies. They have a forum right here at Wilders.

If you decide to try BOClean, make sure to read the manual. When it finds a nasty, it cleans other areas of your computer as a precaution. Your hosts file, winsock connections etc. These are all options that can be changed if you deem necessary.

You can also install a hosts file to help block bad sites and malware. MVPS hosts file has a good explanation and tutorial. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    I currently use their hosts file and hostsxpert to manage it. So easy, A caveman can do it. I hope this helps. :)

edit: I'm currently using the a-squared trial that acr mentioned. The date expired May 4th, but if you can still get it, it's worth a try. I really like it, and the newer version will use about 50% less memory.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Use HIPS. No more spyware/ adware.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

You can use Spyware Terminator and Comodo Boclean. Thats what I'm doing.:D

8. Jack Bauer

Do you guys really trust Spyware Terminator now? It's been on spyware warrior's rogue list b4 and I dunno that just doesn't sound good to me.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would not use it.
    Mrk

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A real-time shield is the best part of a scanner, because it is supposed to prevent the installation of spyware, but the real-time shield is only as good/bad as the scanner itself and how many scanners/real-time shields are you going to use. What is enough 1, 2, 3, ... ? I call that gambling with security. That's why I stopped using them.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but then again your Strategy works for you.
    but its not practical for everyone.
    anyway back on topic,
    i dont think realtime antispyware protection is needed.
    its wastes resources.
    i hardly ever run any scans no more.
    ive just got kis6.0 running a full scan once a week when no one is in.
    i got tired of spysweeper saying gratz no malware.
    or sometimes it would say you got this malware.
    no wait its an FP again.
    I understand where you coming from Erik.
    i make sure i know what is running on my pc so only need to run scanners sometimes just for fun.
    i check whats running just incase someone else using the pc picked something up by mistake
    lodore

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt trust it.
    i second the advice of aigle.
    use a HIPS.
    also use a alternate browser to help avoid malware.
    opera or firefox is my reccomendation.
    your brain is the most important part of avoiding malware.
    e.g. if someone in the street gave you an opened can of coke would you drink it? the answer is no because you dont know what drugs someone could of put in it.
    its the same sort of thing online.
    if it sounds to good to be true probaly is.
    just remember norton 2007 really is good:D
    happy surfing
    lodore

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you must have realtime AS then either BOClean or SpywareTerminator would be good choices.

Like lodore though, I do think using an alternate browser like Firefox or Opera can help in avoiding malware.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I hope so. A2 used 50-60MB on my system.

And KIS6 cruises at 10MB.

15. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

16. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

A2 uses 60MB here too. It will be nice to see a decrease.
    http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2003

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is this available on the PC Tools website too? I just hate using that Google downloader.

Thanks

18. Jack Bauer

Yeah it would be nice not having to deal with the google downloader and just download directly from the site. Anyone know if you cano_O Also I would like to mention that the starter pack is a heck of a deal considering that it scans and actually REMOVES spyware and comes with the file guard and immunizer. All those other guards are crap anyway I'll just continue to use spy sweepers free shields to make up for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.