Free password storage utility

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

We are releasing our newest program. It is a free password storage utility called RememberMe.

It is 100% free. No trial periods. No annoying popup reminders. Just Free.

It is completely void of any spyware/adware.
    It sends no information outside of your computer.
    It's perfect for home or business use.

Benefits:
    • 100% free
    • Uses an AES encryption algorithm that is combined with your unique profile information to ensure that you are the only person that can open your information. Even if the database is stolen off your computer, they will need your personal information and your copy of RememberMe to decrypt the information.
    • Allows multiple profiles to be setup so everyone can use RememberMe with a single install.
    • Allows you to customize your own categories so you can organize your locations easier (i.e. E-mail, Games, chat, etc..)
    • Single-click actions for quick retrieval. "copy" buttons can be used to instantly copy your information to the clipboard for ease of cut-and-paste.
    This is version 1.0 and has been tested in a home environment.

We would love to hear any and all feedback on the program. Professional comments and suggesstions will be used to improve RememberMe for future releases.

I hope everyone enjoys the program.

Click here for the website

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks Capp :thumb:

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

My pleasure, as always :)

I hope everyone enjoys it. If you try it and like it, spread the word.
    Cuz it's free!.

If you downloaded the setup before this post, we fixed the donations website. You can redownload the setup or just use the link below.

Thanks,

Donations

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Is it open source?

One hard and fast rule for a lot of us is to not use any encryption software - at all - that is closed source. The algorithms selected may be fine, but implementation of solid encryption is not an easy thing to do. It's not a generalists game. Analysis of the source code, and the security that comes with experts having done that, is priceless. For passwords, I use Keepass and Password Safe. Both open-source, free products that have been examined and are good, solid applications.

Hope yours is open source, and if so, what is the url for the download of the source code?

Thanks!

---securityx---

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

No, it is not open source. Part of keeping all user data secure is making sure nobody sees the encryption methods. If I provided the source code for what makes this program secure, it would no longer be secure. Plus, having the encryption strings and functions would only get you so far. The user is partly responsible for how the encryption is set. When they create their profile, parts of their personal information is included in the encryption string so their individual profile is the only one that can see the information they enter.

I believe open source has it's place in the market, but my company will not be releasing the source code to it's products.

The methods I have chosen for securing user information is competitive and thoroughly tested.

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it :)

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Just an FYI...

When you install RememberMe, browse to the installation directory and open the RememberMe.PDF. It has a step-by-step on usage and setting it up.

That should answer most questions you would have.

Thanks

7. securityx

securityx Registered Member

No personal offense, Capp, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Releasing source code for encryption products is for peer review - not so people can see the encryption methods. That has nothing to do with anything. First of all, one shouldn't need the source code to know the "encryption methods." This is basic: nobody should use an encryption product that they don't know what encryption methods are used. That includes algorithm, hash, cbc or.....on and on. That information should be out front and available for everyone. That's non-negotiable for anyone serious about using encryption. As for the source code - your thinking that providing that would show what makes the program secure and therefore it would no longer be secure is the talk of snake oil salesman. I'm not saying you are, in fact I don't believe that, but that's how they talk. I made a comment in my first post that generalists shouldn't be writing encryption software. Again, no personal offense, this is all on a professional level, but your response is exactly why that is true.

---securityx---

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I am not taking offense to your comments. Regardless of my reasoning, the source code is not available at this time. Maybe at a later date. :cool:

Thank you for your input. I hope you would at least give it a try before you close your mind to a new idea :)

Thanks again

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have to post this because I am proud of it :)

Over 100 downloads in the first 24 hours!!

This is from multiple forums and download sites, but mainly from Wilders and BroadBandReports patrons.

So, thanks to everyone. I hope you enjoy it :D:cool:;)

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I have to add my voice to the concern. I downloaded the program and looked that the 3 page .pdf document that you said would answer most questions anyone might have. There is no information at all on the encryption used, bit size, hash functions, nothing. In fact, the .pdf has nothing of substance at all.

That is all I could find. What do you mean "an" AES algorithm? There is only one AES and that's Rijndael at 128 or 256 bits.

I'm sorry Capp, but I have to agree with the posts above questioning an encryption product that keeps info about the program secret. I would agree with SX that experts would call it Snake Oil.

That comment shows a lack of even basic encryption knowledge.

I have enjoyed many of your posts here at Wilders but I think this program rates an "F" on the real-security scale.

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thank you for your concern, this will help to make a better product and improve customer service.

I had stated "this would answer most question anyone might have", which is correct. Most users that use programs like this don't know anything about encryption. The .PDF file is to show the basic user how to use the program.

I did not include detailed information about the encryption because, 1) not that many users know about encryption and 2) because I did not expect to see a backlash about it.

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit:

RememberMe uses 128-bit Rijndael AES Block Cypher encryption method that hashes a secret series of characters strings plus information taken from the user to create a complex string value. This makes each users encryption string unique. This is then hashed against the password entered. This make it so that only that particular profile can decrypt the information. It creates a simple wrapper class that encapsulates the 3DES algorithm and stores the encrypted data as a base-64 encoded string. Then, that wrapper is used to securely store private user data in a password protected database.

12. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I'm glad you've enjoyed my posts. I've enjoyed making them. I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction. If not, please let me know or email us and we'll see what we can do :)

Thanks

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Clever way of bumping the thread. You already responded yesterday to the post with the above comments in them. You did the exact same thing earlier in this thread. Keeping a thread about your own product bumped by delayed and double-replying to the same post is considered spamming in Forums 101.

By the way, I noticed a very similar discussion concerning closed source encryption products is taking place in alt.privacy in the sewsgroups.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy/browse_thread/thread/1831277f79f6b8d1/

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Given the History of Capp as a member here at Wilders....I will counter with an opinion that cleverness in bumping was not the intention(sp) of Capp. I would also ask that We stick to the program discussion and not personal conjectures on what one thinks Capp's motives are.

Please continue with the discussion on free password storage utility called RememberMe.

Bubba

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I appreciate the response Bubba, You are correct.

I will continue to monitor this thread for additional questions/comments because I want to make sure I have answered the questions to the best of my ability.

If anyone would like to contact us directly, please email us.

Thank you again for your responses.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A number of Off Topic posts removed.

17. VelvetPorkRind

VelvetPorkRind Registered Member

Hey Capp,
    My wife is enjoying the remember me software.
    I got tired of her calling me (3rd shift) to look up her passwords. I sleep a lot better now.
    Thanks,
    Velvet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.